Veteran Pipers: How Many Pounds Have You Smoked?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Lately I've been contemplating how much pipe tobacco I would need to cellar to last a lifetime if I were to quit buying tomorrow. I've run the usual calculations of how many bowls I smoke a week on average and have thought about how that number might increase over time, etc. I've used the average life expectancy in the U.S. (78.74) as a baseline to calculate a guesstimate on how many more years I've got left to enjoy my pipes, etc.
It got me wondering how many pounds of pipe tobacco the veteran pipers on this forum have already smoked over the course of their lives so far. If you've been smoking a pipe for a while please respond with how long you've been piping and how many pounds you've burned through.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Life expectancy is not static, it is fluid. Example, a dumpy older white guy like me has a life expectancy of 27.1 years which puts me to 84 years plus. If I were "Hispanic" I would get to 86 and if I were black, I would be done at 82.5.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
LOL! Are you serious? I've been smoking a pipe for 45 years and never took the time to weigh it.
Haha...yeah, I'm not expecting a number with decimal point accuracy! Just a rough ballpark guess is all.
Maybe this is easier for those who only recently started puffing. I've been piping for 3 years and guess I've smoked about 6 lbs total. My consumption the past 12 months has doubled and probably will only increase.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I've been smoking a pipe since I was 16 and I'm now 41. I average about four bowls per week year round, some weeks I smoke one or two bowls per day but I also might go a week or two without a pipe during the warmer months. Let's say 200 bowls per year over 25 years, that's about 45 to 50 pounds thus far depending on how many bowls per tin. I plan on living to be 150, seriously, I think Kurzweil is going to be proven nearly right about the singularity and I think 150 is not an unrealistic number for someone my age now. I also plan on smoking more as I grow older and thus I figure I will need about 250 to 300 pounds of tobacco stashed in order to feel safe. I'm not there yet!

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I started smoking a pipe in 1988. Back then, you could smoke in a lot more situations than today. I might have smoked 7-10 pipes a day. For the last 9 years (when Ohio began "looking out for me" with an indoor smoking ban),its like 2 or 3 a day. How many pounds? I have no idea. I'm 54 and I would guess I have enough stashed away for at least 15 years. I feel pretty good about my situation. I allow for a tin a week, which is a built in cushion of about 5 pipes. There will come a time when I will be enjoying 20 year old Virginias with regularity.
Mike S.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Man you guys are a bunch of Pussies! I smoke 50 pounds a year, like my venison still on the deer, and eat my own asian palm civet's just so I can have more refined kopi luwak! :nana:

My pipe app says that I smoke about 30 lbs a year, that plus all of those years of smoking a carton of cigarettes a week, adds up to... 95, carry the 1... 1680, times... hmmm, excluding cigars, because I have no clue how to calculate those... a whole freaking bunch.
I have 152 lbs set aside, but I am sure that I will never stop setting tobacco back. I have $300 in my monthly budget just for tobacco, and I have decided that I have more pipes than I really even want. So, it will just continue to build from here with no real goals. I just try to keep the cellar balanced between Virginias, VaPers, and stronger blends.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am guessing 6 pounds a year. At that rate, I have only a two year supply. But my rate of accumulation is much higher than consumption, and I am not worried about tobaccolypse. Concerned, but not worried.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Just number crunched and I'm at about 5-6lbs per year. At 31 I'd probably have to store almost 300lbs to last me the rest of my life."
If you last another 25 years, then you will run short as your life exptency will go up about 6 years at current rates with current medicine. 25 years from now, advances in "medicine" may push us into the 100s. Right now if you get to 80, you will probably hit 90.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a moderate smoker, a bowl or two a day, with days off. So comparatively, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.