PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Well, while I'm whiling the hours on the countdown to the Volcano (I suddenly realized the volcano is the most masculine of shapes, an image of sheer power) I got this lovely vest pipe, an estate Roley Savinelli from eBay. Should be here from Italy before long. Here's the photo:

s-l16001-600x484.jpg

It's a Savinelli, so I can't go too wrong, can I? I don't trust ultra cheap vest pipes.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I will do that, sir. I plan on using it for driving back and forth to sculpting class at the Pewabic studio (mostly famous for their tiles), but driving home at night is something of a nightmare because the road I use is so curving and poorly lite. Not a good place to smoke my regular full size pipe in my carry case. I hope it doesn't turn out to be, as someone posted, a nose warmer. Since it's being shipped from Italy, I won't recieve it until April. I'll give a full report then. Now here's a question: do all vest pipes "turn", or do you have to assemble it before smoking?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
It's a Savinelli, so I can't go too wrong, can I?
I'd say going with a Sav is a pretty safe bet. I like the grain pattern and I must admit it is a charming little pipe.
Congrats on your purchase.
Like others I'll be interested in reading your full report.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I will do that, sir.
Sir?!? lol Sparrow, I was a private, a corporal, and a master corporal but never a "Sir". Call me Ogre, call me Blue, call me Mike, but calling me "Sir" is like putting an elevator in an outhouse. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sparrowhawk, this is a good opportunity to field test one of these little pipes for Forums, while you check it out yourself. I think it might be a fun pipe for a little while, and then you might begin to think that another non-swivel pipe, whether Sav or another, would do just as well. On the other hand, you might begin to feel it's indispensable and require two more. Give it a good try-out and let us know if it does a better job than a small cob or briar. Actually, driving, a non-swivel pipe might be better because it is a fixed shape and doesn't require turning the stem (?).

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
It's funny how small of a world this is. This is another pipe I was watching and bidding on. I'm pretty sure 99% of the eBay competition out there for pipe purchases are active posters on this forum.
That's a cool pipe. I'll be very interested to know how it smokes. Congrats!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the tip, mso. Will be sure to let you all know how it smokes. It's coming from Italy, so I'm not sure when it'll arrive--probably in the next week. Huntertrw, back in my salad days I actually did go through a life figure sculpting class, with a very attractive model. I still remember that class well. The model was a charming young mother, and on the first session of class, I struck up a conversation with her. Imagine my surprise when we walked into class a few minutes later, and she emerged from a room nude! I hadn't realized I was talking to the model outside the class.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
A volcano and a vest pocket--now there's two pipes that couldn't be more different if they tried! The one bold and assertive and the other quiet and unassuming--one steady and rigid, the other compromising and changeable. I think there's some psychology here; do different pipes make you feel different as you smoke them? A bulldog vs a churchwarden for instance?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
No, elbert, I'm just a study of contrasts that I don't understand myself. How many writers with English degrees beneath their belt become artists as well?

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Thinking on the volcano shape since I read this (a shape I've never given much thought to, honestly), I am reminded of that Mulan quote:
"No matter how the wind howls, the mountain cannot bow to it."
Here's hoping the both smoke nicely for you! And as a fellow BA in English (and history) who has many interests, I am reminded of another quote, this one from Robert Heinlein:
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
To which I might add "...and pipes." :puffy:

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
That is a nice looking one, I have a buddy I gave one to who loves his. Never complained about it being too hot. I find it is always best to form your own opinions about pipes.

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
I have a Dunhill, oval bowl, vest pocket pipe, in the "Dress" finish (black) with an ivory stem. It dates from the 1950's and belonged to Nat King Cole. It came from his estate with the provenance. Only problem is,I smoke it and still sing terribly...

Status
Not open for further replies.