PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
Grade F?
Yes.
F for Fake!

:lol:
This pipe is so ridiculous that it must've been a prank pulled at a pipe club meeting or something!
It doesn't take a discerning eye to distinguish this thing is a blatant fake, the shaping is hideous and the stamping is so obviously botched that it could never fool anyone.
I though it was funny though and thought I'd share a link...
VINTAGE PFEIFE PIPE GEBRAUCHT S. BANG COPENHAGEN HANDMADE IN DENMARK GRAD B !!
Sidenote:

I've read that Bang should be pronounced Bong,

is this correct?

:?:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
How come when I do a search for pipes, I never, ever get listings from other countries?
Unless the auction is open internationally, you're not going to see it. You need to sign into the the German eBay site to view those auctions. You can use your US ID and password.
Maybe the stamp is a misprint and it should have read "Bong" rather than "Bang".

May 31, 2012
Cosmic, I'm a cheap-ass bastard and find that the US market goes too often astronomical beyond my meager means which forced me to find other avenues.
My best deals have been found on the overseas ebay, but often shipping to USA ain't listed and if there's something you're interested in then you have to write the seller and ask, I usually use google translate for a simple question if it's a foreign language.
I once scored a Castello 93 from the Italian ebay for crazy cheap.
The German ebay.de is always good with lotsa pipe stuff because they have many pipesmokers, just type in "pfeife" and tons of listings pop up, you gotta be careful though because many are 9mm filtered pipes, and quite often, highgrade stuff will be there too, sometimes for a steal, like this Emil Chonowitsch:

Pfeife Chonowitsch, Ohne Filter,TOP

Dunno how much it'll end up going for, but usually such stuff ends up under the usual USA price lines.
Sometimes it's easy because the seller lists shipping prices to the USA, curious to see how this one goes even though I don't like smooths...

Paul Becker -Handarbeit- Pfeife, Pipe, Sammlung, Konvolut, Estate
ebay.it also has lots and lots of pipe stuff.
ebay.fr is excellent for older meerschaums and every now and then classic Brits, and also the older AllBriar pipes which France seemed to originate - I found this one on ebay.fr and it was particularly appealing because it carried the stamping of a famous British tobacconist, H. Simmons:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-fabulous-french-all-briar-has-arrived
ebay.com.au is the perfect place to find sealed cutter top tins, but prices can often climb because in Australia there are a good number of serious tin collectors who tend to pay top dollar.
Also, on the regular ebay on the left hand side is an "item location" filter, select "worldwide" and more items pop up and the good thing is that many of those do already list shipping costs for the USA.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
It may be real. They said early (read: made in 8th grade woodshop). They said grade F (that's what his teacher gave him). :lol:

As jeweler, occasionally someone will come in and ask me to make something and as the project progresses, the customer will make every wrong turn at every decision and the project looks like crap to me, but they absolutely love it. Then at the end they always ask me, can you put your stamp on this? I used to do so, with anxiety. But, now I have a different stamp for the crap commission work that turns sour. However, there are a few rings and pendants out there... one in particular is a piece of crap turquoise carved into a guitar, with my freaking stamp on it. I was duped into making it, now...
Anyways, maybe this could be an SBang's turquoise guitar? :puffy:

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
The crappy pipe was sold again, now with a certificate of origin !
https://www.ebay.de/itm/SEHR-FRUHE-PFEIFE-PIPE-S-BANG-COPENHAGEN-GRAD-B-SAMMLERSTUCK-ZERTIFIKAT-/173121158403?hash=item284ed33d03%3Ag%3AoZAAAOSwRLZaaj4M&nma=true&si=lftcF63tBSdmPNfefZT9kmv8mS8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Cheers,

Roland

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic, that would drive me crazy, having the commissions overseen by a hovering customer. If the customer can't trust the artist, they should find one they trust. Or try to do it themselves. But you have to have jobs, so I guess you just plow ahead. Character building, ahem.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
I've read that Bang should be pronounced Bong
Could raise a few eyebrows if you were smoking with a friend in a pipe shop and wanted to more closely inspect the grain on his pipe..."Jim, pass me that Bong".

Pipe shows, and being in many pipe shops, I have never heard anyone say "S Bong." But, we're in Murica, so however they say it in Denmark has no influence on how we say it. Heck, they pronounce my name as Michelle in France, and if someone wants to tell me that, that is how my name should be pronounced can suck it. We speak murican here. :puffy:

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
No politics intended. I was trying to think of an american a-sound that resembles the danish a. Which isn't easy. Anyway, the pfeife in question certainly looks like it's been carved out of a sledgehammer, so the Bang or Bong or whatever fits just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.