Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Hi everybody,
I have been looking at this extremely tall chimney ( a cutty) and trying to imagine how it would work if I bought it. It's chamber is just shy of 2 inches deep and about 19 mm ( inches ? ) in diameter. It is as deep as two common stack billiards put together and then some. I mostly smoke Va's these days and I do enjoy the second half of a bowl packed with nice straight virginia. So I would really appreciate your opinions and thoughts on a pipe of such extreme design.Thanks !

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Most of my pipes are around two inches deep. Bowls that deep are great for folding and stuffing flakes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It depends on how thick the walls are. I have seen many stacked pipes with walls that were too thin to handle a longer smoke. Show us some pics.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Good point Harris. Most of my pipes are thick walled. Pics would be helpful.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Chasingembers: Sorry, I have miscalculated ( my brain works in cm's). I meant just shy of 4 inches deep. That is a little under 10 cm deep.
Cigrmaster: Take a look :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291698703797?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

hirsute

Lurker
Jun 10, 2015
That's a tall pipe, alright. I have an old Stanwell chimney that's almost 3 inches and I love a bowl of virginia in it. I tend to pack the bottom of the bowl a little looser than normal since it will become compressed with all of the extra tamping associated with a tall bowl. I also rub out flake in a taller pipe. I find that works better for me than folding and stuffing in a chimney.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Wow! I have a Moretti magnum freehand, and can tell you that Marco Biagini is a top notch pipemaker and a real gentleman. Should you choose to persue that pipe and win, you'll be getting a great smoker. Man that thing's a brute!

I have a rack of stacks, and I love them. They smoke way cooler than the regular bowl size and the stoved tobacco at the bottom... is pure heaven. My largest stack is a Dan pipe in which you could snip a 3" long twist and drop it inside and smoke away, although I don't do that.

Pack a little looser, smoke a little slower. And, enjoy the flavor-rama.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I'm going for it..let's see what happens !!
If you haven't followed any of Moretti's auctions, Marco's briars tend to go between $120 and $200. Good luck brother!

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
How does one light that thing closer to the bottom of the bowl? It doesn't seem practical.

I hold my Bic lighter half an inch above the rim and draw the heat (NOT THE FLAME) down into the bowl just like a regular pipe, and voila. No rocket science needed. Lights, smokes, and tamps just like a regular ol' mortal pipe.
I never point a lighter down into the pipe. Those pipe lighters that do that are designed to kill your rims. Throw them away and use a Bic light held sideways half an inch above the bowl, or a match, or a zippo. The flame should not even have to dip down into the bowl to light the tobacco.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
3" into the bowl and I don't have to pull my flame past the rim?
Are you going to Chicagoland? I want to learn this technique! I'll even supply you with the tobacco!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
3" into the bowl and I don't have to pull my flame past the rim?
Well, yes, for a really deep light, the flame will be drawn somewhat down the bowl, but the tobacco will be relit by the heat off the tip, not the flame itself. And it's less than a second of light. Cosmic is on the money.
Torches can be used with no damage to the rim, but much more care is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.