PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
This rare item recently went on auction and ended at a somewhat fair price, compared to old Dunhill catalogs, this was a real bargain, it's got a lot of pages too...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-92-page-pipe-price-list-and-catalogue-/221520609504?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=xIA%252BzkhNJJd6tMb51Xz2HsVb9VY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
I was interested until the price started climbing.
Fortunately, we have a high quality reprint of this very edition pubb'd by

Briar Books Press

http://www.briarbooks.com/The_Loewe_Pipe_Packet_FHDM.html
The Loewe Pipe Packet is an exquisite physical object and it is put together lovingly well.
I don't even own a Loewe pipe, but the catalogs are of intense interest due to their shapes and being able to see all those classic forms, they did 'em with much grace and aplomb.
I highly recommend getting yourself a copy!

:puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That catalog is amazing at 104 years of age.
$_57.JPG

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, that is where specific Ebay searches fail and only combing thru ads will yield those gold nuggets. There's just not enough time in the day.

leslie88

Lurker
Sep 6, 2014
I remember a few years ago I was leafing through the Loewe section on pipepages.com and in a '30s catalogue saw the "Garrick", a very unusual triangular-shank medium apple shape I've never seen anywhere else. I always assumed it was one of those pipes that fall in the Sasieni "Arundel" rustic category, being so rare as to be now non-existent, so consigned to my list of "desert island" pipes. Imagine my surprise when earlier this year I was leafing through eBay lots and found a job lot for sale that included a "Garrick": I was lucky enough to add it to my collection, but it has fired my imagination as to which other beauties may yet be available from that same catalogue...

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yep, that is where specific Ebay searches fail and only combing thru ads will yield those gold nuggets. There's just not enough time in the day.
Being retired it's not so much an issue of time, but more an issue of money! :wink:

May 31, 2012
Came across another one of these...
...Trade List No. 14
Any ideas as to a rough date?
I know that List No. 9 dates to 1926.
What interests me most, of course, are the "ripple grain" blasts, because it verifies what I suspected about early Loewe sandblasts, namely that they are stamped on the side of the shank - those early blasts are extremely scarce.
RAR Katalog Catalogue Loewe Briar Pipe List No. 14 30er? 40er?
MEFBjbT.jpg

Tqy430v.jpg

J7OtSzQ.jpg

g8cHc5I.jpg

LWalXgw.jpg

yvVZDss.jpg

2lDweRr.jpg

ttjY0Gd.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
misterlowercase:
Thank-you for this fascinating (and timely, at least for me) thread! Since List No. 9 was published in 1926, my best guess is that List No. 14 might date to 1931, that is if it was updated annually.

blaik

Lurker
Dec 28, 2014
Russia
What interests me most, of course, are the "ripple grain" blasts, because it verifies what I suspected about early Loewe sandblasts, namely that they are stamped on the side of the shank - those early blasts are extremely scarce.
RAR Katalog Catalogue Loewe Briar Pipe List No. 14 30er? 40er?
The earth round, misterlowercase)) This catalog was bought by me.

May 31, 2012
Awesome Blaik!
It looks like a very nicely made catalog.
I saw your Loewe pipes in another thread and they are a great group!
btw

offtopic,

I see you are from Russia?

Yes?
How can I get my hands on a pipe made by Alexey Kharlamov?

:?:

His stuff is incredible!
Алексей Харламов!

:!:

lYEt12a.jpg

Any online pipe shops is Russia who sell world wide?

Or maybe you might know his contact info?
And,

I do not know where I came across this image, but I have always been curious about what it says,

could you translate it?

:idea:

K3wvMqq.jpg

blaik

Lurker
Dec 28, 2014
Russia
Dear misterlowercase. I am familiar with Alexey Kharlamov. I can write you it e-mail and you contact it. You can freely make to it the order in English.
On the picture it is written: Lessons of history, stuffing and smoking will increase culture of the smoker undoubtedly.

May 31, 2012
Since List No. 9 was published in 1926, my best guess is that List No. 14 might date to 1931, that is if it was updated annually.
Good point Hunter, I think you may be right, it makes sense.
I wouldn't have guessed that Loewe started blasting that early,

yet again demonstrating just how important these old catalogs are in helping us to pinpoint actual timeframes.

Status
Not open for further replies.