PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
my pipe from the 60's not smoked since then the stem is very very oxidized to the point the slot at the mouth end is almost closed & pipe cleaner even tapered does not even enter the stem - the whole stem is yellow from the oxidation.

i would expect the full length of the inside of the stem is a disaster also.
my first pipe so want to try to save it - interesting brigham shape not made today.
anything possible to restore this pipe ?
thanks for help

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You can try removing the oxidation with micromesh pads for the exterior and toothpaste with nylon shank scrubbing brushes for the airway. Used properly, the micromesh pads will take off the oxidized material and leave a very glossy stem. There are some stem cleaning kits available, check with Walker Briar Works - http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/. You can also send your pipe to a repair and restoration service like Walker Pipe Repair who can do a complete restoration and cleaning on your pipe, and if the stem is too badly oxidized, can make you a replacement.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
There's a heat method I love using, take a candle and about an inch from the flame move the stem back and forth in about an inch of the stem for 5 seconds, then wipe with a wet paper towel. Repeat this until the stem is finished. If it's a bent stem just bend it back in place as it will straighten from the heat. Hold the shape for about 10 seconds and it will stay in place. I love this method as it requires no sanding and I can have a stem looking brand new in about 10 minutes where the other methods seem to take an hour or so I've heard

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Oxidation is just a tiny layer on the outer surface of the ebonite. If it is blocking the airway, that is fossilized gunk not oxidation ! Going to take some elbow grease to get that out. I'd try to get most of it out manually, with somethink like a toothpick (or a dozen of them). Then it's going to take some fairly aggressive treatment to get the oxidation off, buffing is preferred but soaking in diluted bleach for 15 minutes and then light sanding would work.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
not gunk was totally clean when last smoked back then & is same oxidized look as the outside but afraid to try toothpick as if it breaks inside almost impossible to get out - cleaner does not reach slot from the shank end of stem as it narrows down inside 1/2 way.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
May I suggest some Bon Ami cleanser applied to a damp paper towel (or to a damp pipe-cleaner for use in the slot)? It works VERY well in removing oxidation, and will not scratch the vulcanite. Further, it leaves it silky smooth and ready for buffing.

Status
Not open for further replies.