PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Well, I got all my work for the week done early. That means I get the rest of the week to relax and enjoy. I thought it was going to take significantly longer but that shows what I know. On top of that, I had a couple packages waiting on my doorstep when I got home.
The first one was a lot of pipes that I ordered last weekend. It started out very disappointing. 3 of the pipes had damage that made them unusable, not shown in the pictures, and one was as crappy as I expected it to be. The other two however made the whole lot worthwhile. Those 2 were a 1967 Dunhill ES Shell and an unsmoked pistol pipe. Plus it came with a nice little pipe stand. Those who say there are no deals on eBay absolutely missed this lot.
The second package was from Hiland Cigars. I had a great experience with them and they seem to be top notch people. The package contained a couple ounces of their bulk Englishes and they actually smell really good. Can't wait to try them. The real gem though was the pair of Sasienis, a four dot natural Warwick and a four dot rustic Amesbury XS. The only bummer is the tooth marks on the stem of the Amesbury. One of them looks like it goes through. I guess I'll have to learn the superglue trick.
I'm probably going to offload the stand and pistol pipe for enough to cover the shipping on these lots. (Anybody want them? :D )
Enough talk, more pics.
dscn3406-600x450.jpg

dscn3407-600x450.jpg

dscn3408-600x450.jpg

dscn3410-600x450.jpg

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks, I'm in the USA until late July. I have to move at least once between then and now but I'll be in the US until then.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Nice score! That pistol pipe is friggin cool!! A nice collector piece IMO. Although I would think you need to smoke it at least once :rofl:

Aug 1, 2012
Well crap. While cleaning the Dunhill, I found a tiny hairline crack just starting at the top of the shank. Looks like the pistol pipe will have to go to the repair costs for the pipe. Now to choose what type of band. I'm thinking gold...
Still a nice day though. Got in a couple of smokes when the wind died down.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Epoxy is good for closing up cracks, with the stem in and the crack opened up try and get some down inside the crack, pull the stem out and it should close up and wipe off any excess expoxy. Once it is dry get some fine sand paper and reduce the size of that tenon, just enough so its snug you dont want it too lose either. And a little beeswax for lube on the tenon.
Ground up ebonite and epoxy works great for rebuilding ebonite stems.

Aug 1, 2012
It's a post-war pipe...and it's grungy inside. The longer space inside the shank (mortise-like space probably to accommodate the stinger intended for some of these pipes) is a complete bear compared to a standard shank. Almost done though and then I start on the Warwick.
Thanks for the tip rx2.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I should have asked a little more detailed question, I can't remember if the post-war Rustics had the patent No., but the dots on the stem look like the smaller dots in the elongated diamond pattern. Either way, a great group of pipes!

Aug 1, 2012
I get where you're coming from. The specifics are as follows.
Nomenclature is the Sasieni sans fishtail script over 'Four Dot Rustic' over '"Amesbury" XS' with the rugby ball "Made in England". The "London Made" is left off as it is with many rustics due to lack of space. The dots are the smaller, lighter colored ones but in the squared (rather than elongated) diamond formation. That, along with the rustication and stem-work (specifically the internal geometry) all seem to indicate a pipe made between the late 1940s and early 1960s.

Status
Not open for further replies.