PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thereader19

Lurker
May 30, 2017
Hi I'm very new to smoking a pipe. I've had moontrance by cao and 1 Q anyone have any suggestions for something to try? Also I was using a corn cob and poked a hole in the bottom when I was emptying it. Is there a way to fix it or should I just buy a new pipe?

Thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the cob is a Missouri Meerschaum, I'd try repairing it with glue and pipe mud (ash and water) to insulate the bottom. If it's an el cheapo, just start over with an MM cob. There's a world of blends out there. Two of my favorites are Iwan Ries Three Star Blue and Edward G. Robinson, both aromatics. If you want to try non-aromatic, go with something mild.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Do what I do glue a coin to the bottom of the outside of the corncob, I use apogsy glue. This acts as a solid base. I do it on all corncobs that don't have a hardwood plug.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
img_0033-600x450.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Is there a way to fix it or should I just buy a new pipe?
Missouri Meerschaum or not... it's a cob, they're very affordable, just get a new one. As far as tobaccos to try... you're going to get a hundred or more different answers on that question. I'll suggest Lane BCA (it's a straight black cavendish aromatic) and I'll suggest Sutliff's Molto Dulce. If you want to move away from another aromatic and prehaps toward a crossover blend, try Kramer's Blend for Cary Grant. I'd call it a light aromatic english blend. I'm very fond of it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Infallible glue for busted cobs:
1. Ground bones of cremated heroes.

2. Blood of virgins.

3. Drool of an Asian elephant.

4. Ash of a cigar.

5. A tablespoon of fine table wine.

thereader19

Lurker
May 30, 2017
My name is Pat, I'm a librarian from Rhode Island. I work at an elementary school right now but am hoping to move to an academic library soon. My best friend gave me a pipe an introduced me to pipe smoking this past weekend and I enjoyed it. I had tried cigarettes but didn't really like the taste of them. I'm a big science fiction fan and fantasy and want to eventually get a churchwarden like Gandalf in LOTR.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
People have practically accosted me when smoking Abacus to make sure I was fully aware how good it smells. Not my typical fare but works in congested/less accepting environments to have something that smells like baking cookies. Might be worth having something less offensive clinging to you at an elementary school. Just get a new cob or two and then check out the Missouri Meerschaum LOTR series Cobbit pipes for your Churchwarden, they have hardwood bottoms too. Here's their biggest, the Wizard.
20170212_025436-600x337.jpg

I would recommend Dunhill My Mixture 965 or some other mild english blend.
Quoted from Pipedia
G. L. Pease recommendation on beginner's tobacco

“I generally recommend a full flavored, but not strong tobacco to the beginner. They'll be much more likely to get some flavor from their early experiences, and it will be much easier, then, for them to apprehend the idea of 'slowing down,' which is crucial to a great smoke. Once they've learned some of the mechanics of pipe smoking, and their senses have become accustomed to some of the myriad flavors tobaccos can present, they are better armed to move into more subtle, or 'mild' blends. For the beginner, 'mild' tobaccos are generally far from mild!”

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Dear thereader19 Happy for you not to try the coin stuck to the bottom method. Although it works for me! If you take the advice of others and decide to bin the corncob could you instead send it to me. I live in the UK and if you go that route will send you a PM with my address details.

Kind regards oldmansmoking

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Get a wooden dowel from a hardware store, slightly larder than the hole. Drill,out the hole, apply a little wood glue, and push it in. I have a couple of really old corn cobs that I fixed that way. Then save you up some money and get a nice Savinelli, Peterson, or Briarworks pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.