Very Low Grade Pipe Adventure/Wreckstoration (PICS)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Idle hands are the devils workshop, right? If only this was a cute little "Devil Anse", but no, I've gone off the deep end, with a nod to the master of weird pipes, Olie Sylvester. After looking at some of Olie's pipe creations, I felt inspired to do something to this old no name pipe I got with a lot of estate pipes given to me years ago. It was so worn I couldn't find any nomenclature except a barely visible "Imported Briar". The stem was very chewed up, and so loose it barely would stay in on its own. Bowl looked to be over reamed, and there were some cracks on the inside of the bowl too. A sad little pipe, but I just can't seem to throw pipes away. First I gave it good cleaning, then I decided to give it a new dubious life by making it uglier! I had a new stem that I got for another pipe that I never used, and that with a little piece of copper tubing, and some demented dremel work, giving it lots of outside cracks, plus staining, I created a little monster. Almost too creepy to smoke, but smoke it I did, and it actually smoked pretty good. I filled in the inside cracks with a little water, honey, and ash first, and after it dried, popped in some Lane 1-Q and took it for a test spin. The wide bowl worked good for the aro, and it passes a pipe cleaner fine, which is good because it's glued together, and won't come apart.

Not going to be in regular rotation, but it was a fun project.

I'm sure it's not going to appeal to a lot of you, (I'm not sure it even appeals to me), but I was getting bored, and well.... :roll:
Here's two pics of how the pipe looked originally.

img_0149-600x432.jpg

img_0152-600x421.jpg

Here's the little beauty now!

img_0153-600x387.jpg

img_0154-600x418.jpg

img_0169-600x396.jpg

img_01681-600x450.jpg

img_0166-600x353.jpg

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I like how it ended somewhat ruggedized. That appeals to me; that being said the replacemnet tenon and carving on the stem kind of kill it for me. Interesting work regardless and kudos for giving an older pipe a new look. I think you just overdid it for my tastes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Now you need to make up a story if you smoke it at a pipe show and anybody asks. I think it

may have been given to you by a sheep herder in Montana who said it was given to his

grandfather by General Custer.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I like the new look. I think you might regret the copper pipe choice. Steve Laug recently told me that as it oxidizes, it gives a pipe a very metallic taste. (I was contemplating make a similar repair using copper tubing)

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yeah rsuninv, I think you got it right, "Frankenpipe"!

Al, I'm not sure I'll smoke it that much, but it will be interesting to see if the small copper tube taints the tobacco flavor. Maybe if I don't clean it too often the copper will get coated with yummy tobacco juice solving the problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.