PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i have an old block meerschaum pipe not smoked since the 60's. decided to try it but first cleaned it with isopropal alcohol - shank & stem. left it on a dish drying wrack. below the wrack was a tall tumbler of ouzo alcohol ( for another reason ). went camping 4 days - couldn't do it again if i tried - the pipe fell thru the rungs of the wrack into the glass of ouzo - fully immersed - i have let it dry for months & from time to time i try smoking it with different tobaccos

- NO flavor what-so-ever - dead - not even ouzo flavoring coming thru. - the ouzo removed the stain & the stem is totally brown as if totally oxidized but NO sour taste of oxidation - go know.
is it dead or is there a chance to revitalize this pipe? - there is a bit of cake as i had reamed it when cleaning it.

there is a punky flavor of nothing.
any hope ? have not given it for a retort but it is probably the only hope.
anyone ever revitalized a totally tasteless pipe ?? or just shred it ?

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
That's an interesting dilemma. If I were gonna drop my meers in a glass of liquid I could think of a whole lot worse than ouzo! :lol:
I'm no expert, and I'm sure someone will chime in that knows a thing or two about it. But a shot in the dark would be to get all the old cake out and get to a bare bowl and start over. I would think you could build some flavor in short order. Perhaps you did have a flavor you were used to and the ouzo soak just took it all away.. sucked the flavor out of the cake and the bowl too. So you start fresh like it tasted probably when new, and build your own flavor back up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"What a world! What a world!" as the Wicked Witch of the West said. I'm not a Meerschaum guy, but I have the sense that briars a somewhat more amenable to being revived.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Ouch, my vote is dead.... Meers don't like alcohol at all. I have a meer lined briar that I messed up with just trying to clean the rim with Silvia!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Umm, ok. Guess I'll forgo deep cleaning my few meers using scotch, as I do with my briars. My subscription fee for PipesMagazine have been paid back with this one tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.