PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Jut saw this while browsing. The description says the air intake happens through his nose when the cap is shut. A very intereting pipe.

. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-American-Civil-War-Soldier-Carved-Briar-Smokers-Pipe-Antique-19th-century-/350904994916?pt=UK_Collectables_Tobacciana_Smoking_LE&hash=item51b3914c64

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
That's amazing! This reminds me of an episode of Pawn Stars I saw on the History channel. Someone brought in Ulysses S. Grant's pipe (which was verified as his actual pipe by a historian.) He started smoking a pipe instead of other smoking mediums when he got throat cancer. The meerschaum pipe was said to be in the shape of Robert E. Lee, symbolizing that Grant "smoked him."

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am a little puzzled as to the proof that it is an 19th Century object other than the seller's declaration. The patina looks awfully shiny for an old pipe. Maybe I'm over parsing this but is he trying to say this pipe was carved by a Civil War Soldier or a carving by someone of a Civil War soldier??
I think some clarity in the seller's wording could greatly effect what this goes for.

Status
Not open for further replies.