PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Jess Chonowistch-one of the names in the pipe world with prices in $$$$$$$$ - upper stratosphere.

Not for me.
Except: Mike from Briar Blues featured a canted bulldog that has been very abused. Sort of like a poor puppy needing a new home. As you can see in the pics, this pipe was owned by someone who absolutely, positively did not care at all.
Hard to understand how this could happen, but there it is.
The price was so right, I couldn't turn it down.
My plan is to first clean it thoroughly myself, and try it out. If it smokes well (and really, why shouldn't it?) I'll send it out for topping.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Well, I would say congrats..
It should clean up well and the topping is probably a good idea. One thing for sure, it will most likely be an excellent smoker.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Ya know, I've never been that particular about the 'looks' of a pipe, especially from a legendary pipemaker. Much more interested in great manufacture.
I never thought I'd be able to own one, so I am looking forward to it.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
with my skill set, I would send it out to get topped.
Even though I'm a jeweler and handle sensitive items, I will not attempt to cut the top off and try to reshape this thing.
I'll send it either to Walker or someone named NightOwl (Bobby B-if I have his name correctly) to do this work.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Getting that topped off and returned to you giving it a new life for you will pay you back in untold dividends in fine smokes, congratulations!

banjo

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
5DFFEEBF-C0BB-401C-A1B9-386AE9FF98E8-14282-00001C62F2643F6F_zps8cc819e3.jpg
. Emil with horn, an Emil is sometimes harder to get than sons .

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
ppssssttttt Allan ; It's an Emil Chonowistch, Jess's father
So sorry Mike. Me and names!
100$ in a first class tune up and man you did so well.
Brad, I sure hope you are right! Yours looks like a beauty.
I really have not studied the Chonowistch family legacy. I just saw the pipe and said, 'Wow-go for it!'

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm not sure that I'd have the pipe topped off. What I would do is call the guys at Walker Pipe Repair and ask their opinions and then ship it off to them. They may be able to pull of a miracle for you. Good luck and congrats on acquiring it.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Allan,

I own an Emil as well as one by Jess, I love how both smoke, which is just great, I know you will enjoy yours.

banjo

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I'm not sure that I'd have the pipe topped off.
Papipeguy
I'm not sure what I will do. The first thing is to clean it out and then try it. Then I'll see.
I own an Emil as well as one by Jess, I love how both smoke, which is just great, I know you will enjoy yours.
Thanks, Fish

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm not so sure I'd have that one topped either. Looks like a good amount would have to come off and it would change the entire profile of that pipe. Good score though !!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
An interesting grab. I'm looking forward to see what a good repairman does with the pipe. Robbie B should be able to fix it up. I wonder if it could be re-sandblasted after the topping?

May 31, 2012
Wow, what a great find!
And kudos to Briar Blues for making it happen!
I actually kinda like the way it looks.
I'm much more offended by badly chewed stems than well-burned bowls.
I'm torn between calling it abuse or calling it love,

I mean obviously the object itself could be said to have been abused,

but as an instrument, a smoking instrument, it appears to have been most loved.
I remember seeing some of Richard Dunhill's pipes that had that same sort of burnt rim on the front, and Bo Nordh was notorious for mistreating his personal pipes --- but as a working class mere mortal I don't think I could smoke my pipes with such abandon.
Anyway,

major congrats,

smoke it well!
It looks like it's gonna deliver the goody good goods!

:puffy:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
also have the drilling checked to meet modern specs for an open draw. Good smoking.
Giger
Good point.
Last night I decided to work on it. I first started with everclear and bristle brush, but after some time I realized I was getting close to nowhere.
Brought out the retort and did it over and over again and then I went back to bristle etc.
This morning I examined it and i now have a clean pipe, at least it smells and looks quite clean.
Interesting thing, Giger, the stem whole is quite narrow-the thin end of a tapered cleaner goes through, but it is a bit of a challange. In addition, when sucking at the pipe itself, it isn't a free draw like say, a Rad Davis.
This afternoon I will load it up and try a nice English or English/oriental. Possibly Mike Butera's Pelican.
I actually kinda like the way it looks.
I'm much more offended by badly chewed stems than well-burned bowls.
Mr Lowercase: I agree. In the end, it just may be too damaged for me to keep this way, but I will not rush to do anything.
I will let you guys know.
BTW, I screwed up in thinking this pipe was a 'Jess' and not its real maker, poppa 'Emil'.
Clearly my error.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Are pipes simply tools to be used as the owner decides, or good looking things to be admired?

Surely they can be both.

I come down on the side of a well used beauty.

Did the carver expect it to be sat on a shelf and admired, or smoked, albeit rather vigorously.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Gentlemen:
As written previously, I have thoroughly cleaned this pipe, up to my abilities as described.
I waited about 15 hours or so (I'm very impatient) to try it out. It was completely dry, and it smelled fresh, which surprised me. The bowl, although dark, with a finger wipe came out completely clean and without any smell whatsoever.
So:
I tried penzance in the bowl, a favorite of mine.
I am driven to hyperbole, often, as my wife would often say. "this is the best steak, ever" or, 'this is the best bourbon, ever",...you get the idea.
So, this pipe is one of my great ones. I am not a straight fan whatsoever, but the balance, the thin stem, the draw, and the remarkable flavor allowed to flow from this unit is quite impressive.
It is a clencher, and a comfortable one at that. Emil or Jess, whatever. I don't care.
Although this is the first real day, I'm considering leaving it completely alone and doing absolutely nothing other than enjoying bowl after bowl. Maybe I'll leave the burned area as Darthcider said, as a well used beauty.
Thank you for listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.