PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
So I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and what their opinions are about it. I absolutely love the smell of the tobacco when it's in the mason jar... however once I light up the taste becomes quite ashy tasting, almost cigaretteish. I have only tried it in one or two pipes hoping to get some awesome flavor from it. Has anyone else had this ashy taste or have they experienced something quite different?

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I bought some just because of the name. I actually don't get much maple/bacon in either the pouch or after lighting up. I'm taste bud challenged so I'm not very good at picking out particular flavors unless they're really strong. I like the taste of Vermont Meat Candy and don't get any ashy taste from it.

Dec 24, 2012
I'm not an aromatic guy at all - only smoke it to please the wife - but I bought some of this at Christmas and did enjoy a few bowls of it, though they had to be small bowls because I found the maple taste a bit cloying after awhile. I assume the bacon taste is really derived from a small amount of latakia that is intended to impart a smokey taste, and this did come through a little bit. Not sure I will buy any again, but the wife did like the smell. I just find when I buy aromatic blends they sit in the jar and are infrequently smoked. I will probably try what I have left next xmas, in the hope that the maple flavor will have muted a bit by then.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I was enjoying a pipe yesterday before entering someone else's car. They said I smelled like coffee. So worst case scenario it'll make your clothes smell delicious.
As for the taste, you get a really big maple/hickory flavor on the charring light. After that it definitely fades so you need to smoke this very slow. So far I've only tried it in a small Dr. Grabow that I don't give a rat's ass if it ghosts or not.
I do like it very much, but I'm still making up my mind whether I would buy more though. Still smoking through my 2oz sample.
If you're interested though I'd say it's worth a try.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The smokiness comes from dark-fired Kentucky which has been smoked with hickory, hence the "bacon" influence. What most people have noted is that the aroma is predominantly maple, while the dark-fired is more noticeable in the flavor. It was created half-whimsically for a promotion, but has quickly caught on.
Russ

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I bought some a while back and to say the least after the 1st bowl I was not all that impressed. After I got it lit I found it to be quite flavorless. JMO

I will not purchase it again :?

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
It's really not even close to enough "bacon" flavor and the maple struggles to stay noticed. But I bet it smells amazing to others.
It could do with some tweaking. More maple and maybe a light touch of latakia to give it more smokiness. Maybe for a future product. 2.0 like lake land brickle fortissimo. Lol

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Hm. I wonder how many batches of this were made and if one was better than the other? It seems some people agree with the ashyness and some actually taste the maple. Or some of our pallets just are not quite as refined yet.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
This is one of the reasons why I don't do aros anymore. One day I bought a pouch of Super Value Vanilla tobacco (I know, I know, but I was a newbie) and after the second bowl of it I said, "I need to graduate." It did in fact have no flavor and had an ash taste at the end of the bowl. Mind you I had other aros, but it was just time to move on. Till this day I don't have a desire to go back to aros.
I do agree with others on here when they say that the meat candy tobacco doesn't sound appealing. Might be because I'm a vegetarian! lol :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.