PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
So I have two girls that I have raised as my own and they call me dad. Their "real" father has been out of the picture since long before I married their mother. For a few years he wouldn't even take them when we offered to drive them to him, or to pay for him to come here. He has recently tried to come back in once or twice and the kids don't really want anything to do with him, and he really doesn't try very hard because he doesn't know them, even though his father has stayed in touch with the girls. Well, long story short he TEXTED today to tell my wife and I to tell the girls their grandad has cancer. Great. Crying girls and no answers to their questions... Great evening.
Sorry to vent on here but you guys (not the pipes) are cheaper than therapy!
-Lou

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I'm not one to give advice, and your story does reminds me of a friend in near circumstances.
When you took the role of "Dad" you became their dad. You don't have to be blood related to be a father figure to them. Comfort them and tell them that you will get answers for them. That is doing all that any dad coud do under the circumstances, that is you not knowing anything yourself.
Be there for them because they need you and look up to you.

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Thanks guys! This means a lot! They seem to both have calmed down for now, and my wife and I are going to drive them to see him a week from Monday, and hopefully we'll get some more answers to his condition
Thanks again!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's against my nature to be too serious but, I've been there and done that. Give them answers that will help them understand why they have extra parents, grandparents and cousins. And that the situation has nothing to to with them. There father just went a different direction. Reinforce on the girls that they are loved and always will be. Keep your opinions about the father to yourself. The girls will be able to sort it out when they are older and they will most likely love you more for not stepping between them and their father. Your the dad! Your raising them and do your best to keep them balanced and loving. There are times when it is really tough to stifle your thoughts and keep your mouth shut. When those times cropped up I'd go to the shop or just outside and, smoke a pipe and mumble to myself.
My daughter's father was a self-obsessed ding-bat. But, I was careful over the years to not bad mouth him to her. He'd disappoint her time after time. Sometimes, when she was really young, he reduced her to tears when he would set up a day with her and then not show up. More excuses for him and a bit of understanding about others' frailties for her.
I used his performance as teaching moments, and made excuses for him so she would not look too harshly on him. Now, she's nearly 40, he's in his late sixties and they have developed a closer relationship and she thanks me for that. In truth, his family are still her family and lines of communication are open should she wish to know more about her heritage. That's the reward, to raise well balanced step-children who recognize your efforts and are thankful for them. She loves all of her parents and realizes that I am the dad and he's the father. I was there for her then and always will be. But, her father is her father and I am glad I was able to keep the rift from being too deep or permanent.
I'm damned proud of her! And, it is all about the girls. Not you, not the father . . . just the girls.
I apologize if I got a bit preachy. Just trying to 'splain how I handled a similar situation.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Warren,
That was a moving story. I have never been through something like that but wished I could be half the man you were during that experience.
I hope the OP can sift through the Sh!t and do the right thing and let her "know" her father's family issues but leans on his (OP) shoulder as her dad. I apologize for the pronoun orgy but typing on my iPhone is a chore.
Good luck sir. I know your guidance will be true.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Lou:
Take Warren's response to heart and follow his lead. Your little girls will always know who their real daddy is.
Fnord

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
My heart goes out to you my friend. You have one of the most supportive communities at your disposal, and as usual, many of the members here have gone out of their way to give their support. I wish all the best to you and your girls.

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Thanks Warren! It's good to know others have been through the same situation and come out okay in the end... Seriously sounds like our stories overlap on a lot! Thanks for sharing sir...
I really appreciate everyone's responses and advice!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
WOW Warren I am very impressed! Top Notch Advice! :clap:

ithelouniverse- follow that and you can't go wrong. Good Luck!

-john

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
Excellent responses by all. Much good advice.
@ithelouniverse - just remember that anyone with a willy can be a father, but not everyone can be a dad. You keep the Good Race and everyone will turn out better in the end for it. You'll be in my prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.