PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerx

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2014
Southern California
Just curious, how many fellow pipe smokers here are vegetarians?
Been about 27 years for me. To be honest though, for the last few years I "cheat" with seafood occasionally. Maybe 4-5 times a year. Can't resist fish and chips (especially with a cold, hoppy pale ale), or a Baja-style fish taco now and then.
Not looking for a debate here, or your opinion about how stupid vegetarianism is, just a quick show of hands if you are one.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Actually, I was one for about 10 years but it didn't take. For good or bad, I am back to being a meat eater.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Was ovo-lacto for nine years, but it didn't take. Unfortunately, I love steak and chicken too much.

And pork.

And elk and venison.

And turkey!

Mar 31, 2014
I'm almost there. I think I would be by now, if it wasn't for the three Inn-N-Outs I pass by between work and home. They do have a vegetarian option (burger without the meat), but it's just not the same :cry:

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I was raised vegetarian. I was even raised to think certain meats were a sin. If on land, it must have hooves and chew the cud (no piggie, squirrel or rabbit), and if from the sea, must have fins and scales (no shellfish, shrimpies, crabs or lobster). I haven't been a veggie for years, but don't mind if you are.
It still doesn't make sense to me to eat things that feed off refuse, dead animals and shit though, like lobsters and crabs, but I have no problem with you eating whatever you want.
Love me some crispy bacon, and ribeye steaks, but I still have to have them well done, because I have no desire to drink cow's blood. Eat whatever you want, none of my business.
If you are thinking about eating fake veggie meat though, I can tell you the good ones: Morningstar Farms. They make excellent fake bacon and sausage patties. The regular Grillers are good too. Most fake meat sucks. Morningstar Farms, in the frozen section.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Good good good, us meat eaters know who will taste best when the apocalypse comes.
hahahahahahahahaha!
No really plants are living things and have feelings too and have every right to exist in this world with out fear of being murdered for the glutinous appetites of ravenous humans.
I'm a plants rights activist.
Stop eating my food's food!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I could be a vegetarian if it didn't take so much discipline. One has to be driven in order to overcome the prevalence of animal protein in our national diet, especially when you have other people living with you who are not so inclined. My hat is off to those who can pull it off without their diet becoming a central part of their everyday life.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@tuold: Actually, when your parents screw up your brain like mine did, it's very difficult to eat meat. I've been trying to take at least one bite of all the 'sinful' meats, just to show I don't believe that anymore, but it's very hard. Had a bite of crabcake at a fancy Seattle restaurant on the docks, and the waitress kept coming over to ask if I was going to be sick.
People will say, 'Yes, but how did it taste?'
Dude, it's like you eating a cockroach, with the cockroach pus squirting out and the legs scratching your throat; you're doing everything in your power NOT to taste it, and to swallow the damn thing without throwing up.

racerx

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2014
Southern California
simnettpratt, I agree with you about Morningstar's products. Their "facon" is a staple around our house. Facon, lettuce, tomato, avocado sandwiches on dark bread. Killer.
Soy chorizo is another good product. It's been literally decades since I ate real chorizo, but the soy chorizo with scrambled eggs is pretty damn good and tastes indistinguishable to me in a breakfast burrito.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@simnettpratt, I believe I understand. Then to think in some countries they eat those critters while still crawling around on a plate or gasping for air while diced into pieces. And I'm sure cockroaches are a staple in some parts of the world.
When I was the USAF back in the late 70's I was going through basic training with a vegetarian guy. There was very little available for him to eat and I watched him get thinner and thinner, weaker and weaker until he finally washed out. I think the military is probably a little more tolerant of varied dietary habits these days, but it still can't be easy.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My wife and I cook vegetarian meals fairly regularly, mostly in an attempt to get more veg into our diet. We're still unrepentant carnivores, but we're trying to eat more healthily in general, so incorporating more vegetarian dishes into our menus is part of that attempt.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
I have not eaten meat since 1994. Have not eaten eggs or dairy since 2004. I was raised hunting and have killed and eaten just about anything you can think of that lives in the south. I still cook meat when company comes over and wear leather clothes. Definitely not your average vegan and don't know any or hang out with other vegans (except Jane). Last couple years I have been thinking that 20 years is long enough and may start back eating meat in 2015 by raising quail. Love the smell of searing flesh but not sure I can start back after so long. Honestly I think the vegan diet is not optimum, hard to get the optimum ratio of carbs/fat/protein without eating meat. I am convinced that wheat does far more harm to the health of the world than meat does (I still cheat and eat flour tortillas a couple times a year!). Doubt I will go back to dairy ever and the jury is still out on liquid chicken. I don't usually bring up the topic because I really don't like talking about it. Ha!

Mar 31, 2014
Simnettpratt: Those food restrictions, if you don't mind me asking, were they religious? It's just an interesting configuration of what can and cannot be eaten. I've never seen it before...

Status
Not open for further replies.