Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
Out of curiosity and the sake of conversation, I want to get opinions on my new Vauen purchase. It's an entry level acorn shape briar. After a few smokes I noticed a flaw inside the bowl that was not visible previously. There is a small area of briar that has protruded from the smooth surface of the bowl. It's very hard, so I don't think it's filler, but I'm not sure about that. The bowl did come with a coating inside. I've smoked it at least 10 times after noticing the flaw, and no issues really. I'd just like to see if anyone else has had the same experience with a pipe, and was there any long term problems. Maybe I should have sent it back right away, but it's smoking fine so I don't know. Thanks.
pipe2-450x600.jpg
[/img]

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Hmm. Hard to say for absolute sure, but from the look of it I won't worry. You should be good to smoke it & I doubt it will cause any grief. If it were a deep gouge into the bowl I'd say talk to the seller, but in this case I don't think it's going to cause you any grief. JMHO, YMMV. :)

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've bought a new Vauen and it smokes great and has no flaws for whatever that's worth.
If it doesn't interfere with your pipe smoking enjoyment, don't worry about it. It doesn't look like it would develop a crack or pit or anything.
If you think less of the pipe, and it distracts you from your enjoyment, contact the seller and work something out.
Life is too short to be worried about your pipes.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I don't think they make much difference, either, but I would prefer that makers leave the chamber alone as there is absolutely no documented evidence that without them the uncoated bowl will burn out. A well-known pipe maker told me that pipes with obvious flaws in the wood don't burn out and that those without them do. There's simply no way to predict them, and in any case the number of burnouts is very, very small. Pease wrote two columns on this site with his research that says the same.
Bowl coatings aren't going away anytime soon, but I despise the intransigence of those who insist on them.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A couple of carvers I have had the pleasure of working with actually gave me the choice of with or without before completion of the commission.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
That's great. But most pipe buys happen through a third-party and by that time the deed is long since done. And had the pipe been sold to a seller, the standard practice is coating.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's great. But most pipe buys happen through a third-party and by that time the deed is long since done. And had the pipe been sold to a seller, the standard practice is coating.
Sandpaper fixes that in a snap.
I'd say no worries whatsoever! Enjoy!
Absolutely!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Me, I don't have anything either for or against coatings. I actually don't mind them. The purist in me & the modernist seem to be at a sort of truce on the matter. :)

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Doesn’t look to be anything you need to worry about. I recently saw an estate Vauen that I liked a lot. In the bowl it looked like when they drilled the hole the bit slipped into the side of the bowl. Maybe a production mistake or maybe someone was modifying their pipe. Hard to explain without a picture to show it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll go with the several members who've said this is no problem. It could be some kind of a process that will burn out the bowl, but the chances of that are small. After a while, you'll forget about it, and you'll smoke the pipe for years to come.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I found similar flaw on the heel of one of my Stanwells. I thought I had been pushing pipe cleaners too deep during smokes and had damaged the bowl with a hot wire but it's probably a flaw in briar. It's still smoking perfectly and I don't bother about it. I believe it won't affect your smokes in any way.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
Thanks everyone for the insight. The pipe still needs broken in but seems to have no smoking issues. I'll keep enjoying it and hope for the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.