Vauen Misdrilled Shank Or Am I Just Fussy?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
I was so excited to get my new pipe today and wind down the busy week with a smoke. Tried to pass a pipe cleaner and *no way.* Checked it out and saw this. It is a Bent Egg, which is a new shape to me, but I assume that this drilling is off? Am I crazy or correct?
RAKWuJq.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
What does the side view look like? A lot of bent pipes are drilled with the airway on a different axis than the hole for the mortise.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
I have a Rattrays old gowrie pipe that is similar. I don't believe it's misdrilled. Its my understanding that it's high so the filter "well" can collect excess moisture and it doesn't interfere with the airflow. I notice when I clean my pipe moisture tends to collect in the filter area. Just my two cents. Will be interesting to see what others have to say though.

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
maduromadness: Great! Thank you for the information. I have almost exclusively Billiards and they are pretty self explanatory when considering shank holes. I figured I was being anal and was misinformed about all pipe shapes needing to pass a pipe cleaner.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'd say that's pretty normal, especially if it is a Vauen filter pipe. Nice chunk of briar, by the way!

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
aldecaker: Thank you and THANK YOU! I was hoping to keep it in the collection. I haven't seen a Bent Egg that really caught my eye is a long while, so I was thrilled to add one.

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
Also; I intend to smoke this without the filter and just realized that the Vauen pipes are made assuming that you will be using the filters. Thanks for putting up with my momentary lapse of reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.