PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Hello everybody. I'm pretty new to pipe smoking and I recently bought a new Vauen Minni 1. I'm smoking it for about a week but I'm really struggling to keep it lit. It gives me 15-20 minutes of joy but it requires so much of attention to squeeze some satisfying puffs out of it.

Can anybody give me any tips on how to approach to this little thing?

I've read many guides and everything from this forum but I just can't find a way to smoke this pipe like I do with my Savinelli or a corn cob I have.

I notice quite a lot of moisture in the shank when I clean it, I have tried smoking with a filter but the bowl gets hot quickly and I also prefer smoking english blends without it. Let me mention that I rest it for at least 24 hours and dry tobacco if it seems too wet (the same tobacco, it's McConnell's Original Oriental in this case, is smoking ok in other pipes though).

Should I give it more time and expect it to improve after some time? I really like it's look and short smoking time, it also wasn't too cheap like some basket pipes.

Any suggestions related to mini pipes would be appreciated.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi Luigi, first off welcome to the forum. As for your Vauen Minni 1 I know nothing of the pipe but the problems you describe in smoking it sound very familiar...tobacco not dry enough.
It took me a while to realise that most blends, particularly flakes need a fair bit of air drying afore they will smoke at their optimum.
I dry mine almost, but not quite to the point of being crispy. Bear in mind that though the tobacco may feel bone dry to the fingers, there is still moisture trapped inside. Also, be careful when packing your bowl, not too loose and not too tight either.
Experiment with different drying times and keep mental notes of your progress. You will get there, it just sometimes takes a while but the journey is worth the effort.
Regards,
Jay.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Thanks for your reply, Jay. I'll try to dry tobacco more than usual and compare the results.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Hi again. After experimenting with my mini pipe I can finally fully enjoy it.

There were 3 reasons for my problems:

- too much space for air in the shank (solved with a 9mm adapter)

- too much moisture coming from my mouth (solved after I had stopped clenching and hold some distance between a pipe and my mouth when not drawing)

- tobacco too wet (solved after I had realised there was a "crackling" sound coming from a bowl if tobacco wasn't dry enough)
I'm writing this if there will be any smoker with same problems. It seems mini pipes aren't much different than any other bigger ones, but they can get hot faster, specially if puffed.

A lot of pleasant smokes to everbody!

Status
Not open for further replies.