PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peejaay

Lurker
Sep 6, 2016
Hello all, my name is PJ and this is my first post here. Very happy to have found the forum.
I have been smoking pipe on and off for about 10 years now.. I smoked a fairly cheap Peterson pipe which still smokes very well..
In the mean time, I have bought some other pipes.
What I would like to ask if anyone can help, I bought a Dunhill pipe not more than 6 months ago which is by far the most expensive pipe I ever bought. The pipe smokes well but within a few weeks, the glossy varnish started to disappear. Now I presume that I am doing something wrong, or that I was ripped off and they sold me a rip-off... Or, it could be something wrong.
Also, is there anything I can do about this?
Thanks so much.
PJ

Jan 8, 2013
I could be wrong, but I'm assuming it just needs a wax and a buff. A few photos might help. And welcome to the forum, Peejaay.

peejaay

Lurker
Sep 6, 2016
It is one of the Amber Roots philobeddoe.
Thanks so much anthonyrosenthal... Brilliant idea.. Will post a few tonight thanks.
Apologies I am an ignoramus when it comes to these things.

Jan 8, 2013
Apologies I am an ignoramus when it comes to these things.
Not at all. We've all been new to the hobby before. The great thing about this forum, is if you have a question, ask it, someone will likely have the answer you seek.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
You might catch a bit of crap at times but we all mean well. Get some photos up.

I found this in a post by sablebrush52 a while back, good help
ou can also upload your pictures directly to your account with Pipes Magazine if you have any issues with posting to another site.
To do this start by clicking on "home" in the left side of the overhead menu, then:
1. Select "my account" and scroll down the pop up menu to "Album" which has it's own pop up menu and slelct "upload Picture".
2. On the "Upload Picture" page fill in the Picture Title and Picture Description box the click on the "browse" button.
3. Select the picture that you want to upload and click on "upload photo".
4. If on a PC, right click with your mouse and select "copy image location". If on a Mac, hold down the control key and click on the image and select "copy image location". The image location is automatically copied when you do either of these things.
5. Go to the forum to which you want to upload you image.
6. In the reply box select IMG from the options above the dialogue box where you type posts.
7. Paste the image location into the pipe up window for IMG.
8. Click OK. A line of type appears where the image will go. It will have img in brackets on either side of the image location description.
9. click "Send post"
10. Done

peejaay

Lurker
Sep 6, 2016
Thank you all for your help. Really much appreciated.
Here are the links to a couple of images of the pipe:
http://imgur.com/a/7sqkJ
http://imgur.com/a/8xRoY
Thanks so much.
P

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good size images! I find this is easy to follow, for any image on any site, including this one:
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Dropbox, etc.), select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) and choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address) into the box that pops up under IMG in the compose reply window of the thread in which you want the photo to show.
qKdaSCh.jpg

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It's common for the wax to wear off fairly quickly and to take on a more matte finish. You'll need to invest in a buffer if you want to keep your pipes shiny all the time or start buying pipes that have a lacquered finish.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Halcyon II, Paragon, and Renaissance are all waxes that can be applied and buffed by hand. All three are good alternatives if you don't want to get into buffing with carnauba and a bench buffer. I also have a carnauba creme that is made by Fiebing's that works pretty well for those that prefer a carnauba finish. Applies by hand and buffs nicely with a microfiber cloth. Still not a shiney as buffer applied carnauba but certainly works to keep a protective coating on a pipe. Some also prefer that more "satin" type finish that hand waxing can give.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Welcome to the forum, Peejay!
The only dumb questions are the ones that don't get asked. Except mine when I joined. Mine were dumb.
You're going to be helped, teased and educated. But you're already being assimilated: Pagan posted up the "How to" in posting pix, Jpmcwjr gave a helpful assist and you've already been informed of the best hand rubbed waxes available. (Paragon rocks. But use Halcyon II for bowls with heavy rustication or blasting.)
Use the "Send Private Message" tab frequently. It's a great way to build relationships and for you to get smarter.
Some really fine people have already weighed in here with their thoughts. Except for Chasingembers. He was going to send me a bowl of his favorite pipe tobacco but he didn't. Consequently, Chasingembers is a douche-nozzle. If the tobacco sample ever shows up, he'll be my best friend for life and I will become the president of his nation wide fan club.
Have fun here, bub. The rest of us do.
Fnord

peejaay

Lurker
Sep 6, 2016
:D
Thanks fnord. Such atrocious behaviour by Chasingembers.. how despicable :D
clickklick yes, it used to get fairly hot.. But now I have learned a bit to keep the pipe cool. I think you could be right, that must've contributed to the "de-shining"...

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hi, In all my new pipes/Italian and Danish make/ The varnish wore off pretty quickly after I started using them, Now they all have turned to more like a matt finish, unless I give them a buffer or dremel drill applied carnauba wax , but I dont mind doing this no more

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Hi, Paulie:
I don't understand your last sentence. Are you saying that you don't want to polish your pipes anymore? Or, are you saying that you'd like to do it once and be done with it?
We just want to understand so we can give you the best advice.
Now, are you Danish, Swedish, Norwegian or Finnish?
Cheers,
Fnord

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Laughing...Good word...douche-nozzle. In the photo close up it looks like the finish could use some smoothing with a few steps of fine micro mesh pads before waxing. Then it would really look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.