PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm down to my last few bowls of McClelland's Beacon Extra and I'm wanting to try a few different VaPers. I've tried the 4noggin Prairie Wind and the Perique level is a little weak compared to the Beacon Extra. Beacon was the first I tried and now when I reach for a VaPer I really want to taste that Perique. I know lots rave about Escudo and I just want a few other opinions before pulling the trigger on an order.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
St. James Flake, in my opinion, is one of the more stout VAPERS out there but its also harder to get. Solani 633 is also a good one but I don't think its heavier than anything in the McCelland line up. Definitely Escudo, especially with some age on it.
I have not tried but have heard good things about Daughters & Ryan. One of their blends is supposedly heavy on the Perique goodness. He is the fella that helped save Perique with a new business model for the farmers.
McClelland also sells a blending Perique, which is really good. I use it to spice up various blends. It would be worth snagging a tin of that to try out.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Since it is currently on sale in bulk form this month at Smokingpipes.com, I'll recommend Cornell and Diehl's Bayou Morning, Exclusive, and Poplar Camp. Bayou Morning is a straight Va/Per with a very generous portion of Perique, while the latter two are Va/Pers with some Cavendish added. Cornell and Diehl also has some tinned-only selections also: Chenet's Cake, Bayou Morning Flake, First Responders, and Kajun Kake are all Va/Pers.
G. L. Pease has Fillmore, Haddo's Delight, Stratford, and Telegraph Hill. All are most excellent; Haddo's Delight has a little burley and cavendish in it, but since everyone has been raving about it (myself included), I include it.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
GL Pease Fillmore is pretty heavy on the perique. If you like red Virginias give it a shot.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy blueeyedogre,
Escudo is a wonderful VaPer, but not heavy on he Perique. Might I suggest you do as someone else above noted; purchase a tin or two of McClelland's blending Perique and beef up a VaPer blend that you think you might enjoy more if it was headier in the spicy sauce department. I've done that with Virginia blends I like that I wished had some Perique and the results were, most often, very good.
Pipestud

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Bayou morning has a good portion at 25% perique, but if you want to go all out I recommend John Patton's Cool hand fluke that has 40% perique.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I'm a Perique fiend and I have not had a blend that has so much Perique that I can not smoke it. I haven't tried it straight as I feel that would be a waste of good baccy. Now one to your question. I have had all of the VaPers mentioned here, minus the D&R and non of them have as much as Beacon Extra (taste wide). Cool Hand Fluke may have more than BE but it is very mild in taste. IMO. As others have stated get a can of McCs blending Perique and add to your stash. I would mix it with 80/20 ration to Red Cake. Smoke a bowl and see how you like it add more Perique or more Red Cake depending on what you like. Than put it away for at least 4 months to meld.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
+1 on Cool Hand Fluke. :clap: (Stewed fruit and musty flavor.)
I just did a search at TR.com looking for VaPers and excluding all other leaf types, and found 41.

Notable among them were McClelland's St James Woods, Acadian Ribbon, & Bayou Slices

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Smoking a tin of C&D Bayou Morning Flake right now. Quite heavy on the perique side. I prefer my Per a little more on the condiment side of things so this stuff isn't really to my liking (though not at all horrible), but if a moderate to heavy perique dose is what you are after then this stuff will get it done.

Jul 15, 2011
Cornell and Diehl now makes an "Exclusive" which touts itself as 50% Perique.
8O
Now I loves me some perique, but that might be a tad overkill even for me. Old Joe Krantz has a high dosage, if I remember correctly it packs about 25% perique, but if you smoke it just BE CAREFUL. That stuff will leave you huddled on the floor wondering who stole your wallet and why your girlfriend won't answer your calls anymore. Anniversary Kake also has a good dosage but which is a blend that I'm not real crazy about.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Fillmore

Escudo

Haddo's Delight (if you don't mind flavoring)
And if you like Beacon Extra, try McClelland's St James Woods and Blakeney's Best Bayou Slices. Three very similar tobaccos (with the edge to Beacon Extra in the Perique dept).
If you like the plummy side of Perique, try Anniversary Kake and Marlin Flake for an overt, semi-sweet, plummy blast.
Though not "heavy", my other eternal VaPer recommends include Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Bullseye Flake, and McConnell's Scottish Cake.
Finally, if you like burley, GLP Cumberland is an awesome blend with a noticeable Perique dimension. Possibly the best Kentucky/Perique blend out there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy Va/Per and have some tins yet to try, but I have smoked a tin of GLP Triple play and highly

recommend it. It has some burley and other "things" going on, so it isn't your classic Va/Per, but

it is robust and somewhat unique.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I am also a big Va/Per lover, but I dislike flakes, cakes, plugs, and dog poop looking ropes.
My top Va/Per picks:
  • C&D Bayou Morning (not the flake one).

Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture
Va/Bur/Per picks (if you don't mind a small amount of burley):
  • Mac Baren HH Acadian Perique

Cornell & Diehl Three Friars

4noggins Weybridge

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm not eager to try Exclusive as I have, and smoke, a 40% perique blend, John Patton Cool Hand Fluke. It's taken me a long time to have an opinion worthy of mention, but in the end, even though Patton searched for a year for Virginias that would not be overwhelmed by that much perique, in my opinion, they are. I taste the Virginia easily, but I taste the Perique more, and although I love dark, strong tobacco, I don't love that concentration of perique.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Be careful when you add perique to blends. As CoalSmoke said, a little goes a long way and it's easier to add a little more than it is to take out too much. I added perique to CH at a rate of 33% and it made my fillings go all hot on one side of my mouth and burned my on gum on the other side. Not saying this will happen to anyone else but I do think that little by little would have been a better approach than the mad scientist approach I used.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
I'm not eager to try Exclusive as I have, and smoke, a 40% perique blend, John Patton Cool Hand Fluke. It's taken me a long time to have an opinion worthy of mention, but in the end, even though Patton searched for a year for Virginias that would not be overwhelmed by that much perique, in my opinion, they are. I taste the Virginia easily, but I taste the Perique more, and although I love dark, strong tobacco, I don't love that concentration of perique.
+1
The percentage of any component is relative to the other tobaccos in the mixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.