PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I've been spending some time with the Va/Pers of late and I have to say that I am a fan! I've had the following:
PS Luxury Bulls Eye Flake: The first one blew me away instantly I love this stuff. I have found though that the pipe and prep matter with this blend. I have a billiard that works best and the fold and stuff is much more enjoyable to me that rubbed out.
PS Luxury Navy Flake: This one is not as complex but I really enjoy this smoke. I find the note of this one to be much nicer and the flake to be very consistent in experience. Again this one I find to be better when I fold and stuff.
Anniversary Kake: This has been my absolute favorite of the lot. I will be keeping some of this in stock always. I could just smell the tin all day long. It is also one of the first tins that I have ever smelled that was accurate in its own description. The sweet and spice are so very well balanced in this blend. I've smoked this in a variety of pipes with some constancy in the experience.
I have found with all of these that I really enjoy the retro-hale. In fact I would argue that no Perique blend is complete without doing so, as this is where the fruity notes for me are experienced. I tried this with SPC Plum Pudding and found it to be true as well (yes I know its not a Va/Per) of the perique in that blend.
Here are some questions I'd love to hear your thoughts on:

What are the absolute must try Va/Pers?
Do Va/Bur blends compare or are they a different animal all together?
I think that I really enjoy perique. Are there any perique heavy blends that are a must try?

Thanks for your thoughts and input!

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I'm smoking some 24 year old Drucquer's XX Press, which I've got a sneaking suspicion is actually McClelland's 2015. I'll be buying that in bulk from here on out. I used to go to Fillmore for my perique cravings, but last summer it just felt oppressive and I got turned off of perique for a while. I think 2015 is much, much easier on the perique, whereas Fillmore is based around it, in my estimation.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
You can't talk sensibly about VA/Pers without having tried Escudo - it's the benchmark blend in the genre. Samuel Gawith St. James Flake, McClelland St. James Woods, and Solani 633 are all VA/Pers I'd recommend as well. Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls maybe, though I find it very similar to Escudo. Fillmore is well-regarded here, but it's been many years since I've smoked it. Astley's #2 is lighter, but may be worth a look.
The PS Bulls Eye is an atypical VA/Per, due to the sweetness of the Cavendish centers. I'm working through some at the moment and like it well enough, but it's a very different blend than the others. The PS Navy Flake is one of my go-to blends, but it's more about the VA's than the Perique. Quite good (especially for the price), but not as Perique-y as any of the ones mentioned above.
VA/Burs are a completely different animal.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I second McClelland 2015 Va/Per. Blakeney's (a McClelland brand) Bayou Slice is another good choice.

jlawitzke

Lurker
Oct 28, 2014
Bellevue, MI
If you like PS Luxury Bullseye Flake, then you'll like Davidoff Flake Medallions. I rub them out and put the Black Cavendish center on top.
If you like PS Luxury Navy Flake, then you'll like Orlik Golden Sliced.
Both of my recommendations have date codes of the tin so you can tell how much age they have on them. Code is YYDDMM.
Everyone will tell you that Escudo is the ultimate VaPer. I disagree with that. I find Escudo to be OK and an occasional change of pace. However, I don't get the grassy, hay, citrus notes from it that I enjoy from a Virginia. I get those from the PP LNF and OGS. Escudo I describe as earthy, aged leather with no sweetness or citrus tones. That said, if you like VaPers, you do need to try Escudo for yourself and find out.
Since I do like the Black Cavendish sweetness in the Davidoff Flake Medallions, I have found that a nice change of pace is to sometimes put a small bed of McC 2050 Oriental Cavendish in my bowl before I put some rubbed out flake on top of it.
Keep in mind that the best way to enjoy a Va or VaPer is to smoke slow and sip it in order to enjoy maximum flavor.
VaBur is a completely different beast than VaPer. I can't give you any recommendations there as I do not like Burley as a main component. It gives me a cardboardy aftertaste.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
You can't talk sensibly about VA/Pers without having tried Escudo - it's the benchmark blend in the genre. Samuel Gawith St. James Flake, McClelland St. James Woods, and Solani 633 are all VA/Pers I'd recommend as well.
+1000000

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
St. James Flake is one of my top 3 favorite tobaccos period, so it is a must try. As mentioned, Escudo is the benchmark Vaper. The Vaburs I have tried are significantly different, but I bet you would like both.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Esoterica Dunbar, Dunhill navy rolls, and Park-Lane Red Paramour are my favorites. The red paramour doesn't have very much perique but it's there

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
VaPers I like:

St. James Flake

Escudo

Dunhill Navy Rolls (more so than Escudo, and there is a difference between the two)

Louisiana Red

Anniversary Kake

Sutliff 1849

Viprati

HU Old Fredder's Broken Flake

GQ Askwith Kake

Dunhill Elizabethan Match

Rolando's Own

Solani 633

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
C&D Bayou Morning is one that I just recently tried ... good stuff! :puffy:
Also, if you want to mix it up a bit, GLP Triple Play Plug is a nice Va/Bur(DFK) with Perique.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you like PS Luxury Bullseye Flake, then you'll like Davidoff Flake Medallions.
Apparently it's the exact same blend, just LBF comes in bulk only and is a lot cheaper.

unholy1

Might Stick Around
May 4, 2014
Ditto on C&D Bayou Morning, and Gawith St James Flake. Both are in my top five. I also LOVE:
C&D First Responders (Pease blend)

MacBaren HH Acadian Perique

Pease Fillmore

GKCPC Beacon Extra (McLelland blend)
And Escudo, obviously. :)

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
I enjoy VaPers .... a lot. Have tried almost all over the years, and two that are near the two of my list have not been mentioned.

D&R's Rimboche SJ and TAPS-VIP. Both are high on my list of "add to the cellar".

Status
Not open for further replies.