PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
So, I have been smoking and exploring mostly English, Balkan, Burley, and some English aromatic blends. I love 'em. I wanted to try a VaPer and maybe this was an intense first pick due to the texture but I got some Kajun Kake. I've read Perique has a "mushroom" flavor among other odd descriptions but just wondering if there are suggestions for something that might be an easier transition? I do have some Fire Storm on the way so I will try that next. I don't mind spice and bold flavor but the Kajun Kake was so out of my olfactory index even just smelling the opened tin was tough. I will age it and come back to it. Also, VaPer's might end up just not being my thing but I'm going to make extra sure of that first.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Maybe half the VA/Periques available are intense; that's the nature of perique, which if purportedly a team player is at a per cent less than 10, from what I recall. By 15% it dominates, and by 20% is unmistakeable. Escudo is dominated by perique and St. James Flake that much more. Less in Solani 633 and Stonehenge. The only tobacco that I smoked regularly whose perique is well-behaved is Cumberland, a VA/Burley/Perique.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Dunhill Dark Flake, Dunhill Luxury Navy Rolls, Escudo. Reiner Long Golden Flake has Perique along with some white Burley and is excellent. If you can find it, Samuel Gawith St James Flake is superb. None of these are pepper bombs. I share your feelings about the Kajun Kake, I thought it was awful.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
PS Luxury Bullseye Flake. The perique behaves itself in that 1 and the Cavendish core smooths it all out. Just picked up a half pound of it as it had been quite awhile since I smoked it and got to craving it a might.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I do enjoy Escudo and don't think the pepper is too bad at all. Finished my first tin of it not too long ago. Some say age it, but it smoked great only a few months old.
Of course there is also PS Luxury Bullseye Flake. Two common intros if you ask me (and any search engine).^^seconding above

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Yeah, don't know why I didn't just grab Escudo, will do. Seems the like Fire Storm will be not too far off from the MB Acadian, looking forward to it.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?BlendType=Virginia%2FPerique&Rating=Highly+Recommended&ReviewCount=100

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
I recommend Escudo.
Is there no love here among VAPer smokers for PS LNF? Peter Stokkebye's - Luxury Navy Flake with some age to my tastes is a very, very nice smoke!

Jul 12, 2011
You may enjoy some of the list below;
GLP's Triple Play

GLP's Telegraph Hill

C&D's Night Train

Solani's 633

Low Country Pipe & Cigar - Waccamaw

Peretti - London Flake (Flake)

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Is there no love here among VAPer smokers for PS LNF?
Much love for PS LNF. That's in my rotation as well. Had some the other day with coffee in the morning, very satisfying smoke. I was thinking coins only, and didn't make mention of it. I think I like LNF better than I do LBF. Be sure to get some of that too!

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
+1 on Luxury Bullseye Flake and Luxury Navy flake, both good VaPers for sure. I find both are much better with some time in the cellar. I’d recommend Anniversary Kake and Fillmore for even better representations of a great VaPer.

jonas

Lurker
Apr 19, 2018
PS Bullseye is a favorite of mine. ADunhill Navy rolls > Escudo if you prefer a bit more “sweetness”. Rattrays offers some good ones too, harder to find though.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I find GLP Telegraph Hill to be the best, readily available VaPer going. If it has too much Perique then Statford is a consideration. For me, the second best available Savinelli Dobloni D' Oro.
Mike S.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Heres your answer. Buy a tin of Escudo. Its the benchmark. Plain and simple. With it as your base your can decide wether you want more or les perique or sweeter or less sweet. Almost every VaPer blend has a review that will mention were it compares with Escudo.
Be warned some people are sensitive, even allergic, to perique and can only accept it as a minor addition.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Be warned some people are sensitive, even allergic, to perique and can only accept it as a minor addition.
My wife, while not smoking herself, has a strong reaction to Perique. It gives her coughing and sneezing fits, so I have to air out for an hour or so after I have a blend that is rich in Perique before getting within 6 feet of her. I have to smoke VaPers strategically...

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
As an entry to va/pers I'll recommend Rattray's Hal o' the Wynd and Marlin Flake. HotW has dark fired added making it deliciously smoky as the bowl progresses. Marlin Flake has cavendish making it one of the sweetest smokes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.