PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsalt

Lurker
Nov 20, 2014
Florida Keys
So I'm getting ready to explore the world of Va/Pers and could use some friendly advice. Having never smoked any Va/Pers I was going to ease into it without making any huge investment. Was thinking I'd try a tinned benchmark tobacco like Escudo, which everyone on this forum seems to love, as well as a couple of bulks, such as PS Lux Navy Flake as well as McClelland 2015 for starters but would like some feedback. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to your responses.

ctron

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
I would add McClelland St. James Woods and Rattray's Marlin Flake to the list as well.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Personally speaking PS Luxury Navy Flake is hohum blahish when it comes to a VaPer tobacco but that is just my opinion.
X2. The best VaPer that I have ever tried is Gawith St. James Flake. When prepared properly, it is spectacular.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
You've got to add the new H&H Viprati to this list ... it's really good! :puffy:

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
My recommendations from a previous thread:
Round One:
Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake: mild, delicious VaPer. Easy on a beginner, but satisfies even the most discerning VaPer addict by just getting better with age.
Rattray's Marlin Flake: sweet Virginias and the plummy side of Perique.
Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake: for a great introduction to VaPer hybrids.
Robert McConnell Scottish Cake: great intro to what Kentucky can add to a VaPer. Perfectly balanced constituent tobaccos.
Escudo: perfect balance. Not too strong. Just strong enough. Gorgeous Virginias, just the right amount of Perique. The gold standard.
Round Two:
GL Pease Haddo's Delight: the next level of VaPer hybrid. Some would say the Holy Grail.
GL Pease Cumberland: like Scottish Cake but kicked up a few notches.
McClelland St James Woods: VaPer meets McClelland signature Virginia tang.
GL Pease Fillmore: Delicious, creamy, Perique-forward broken flake.
Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake: plummy, stewed-fruit Perique with tangy Virginias. Needs a bit of age to reach full glory. Some members here stock it. Some members here hoard it
Round Three:
GL Pease Cairo: Perique, meet Orientals.
Frog Morton on the Bayou: Perique, meet English
310* Battleground: Perique, meet aromatic
Mac Baren HH Acadian Perique: hybrid deliciousness
Peterson Irish Oak: hybrid deliciousness
Round Four:
Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding: Perique, meet English kitchen sink.
Pipeworks & Wilke No.13: Perique, meet American-English
GL Pease Barbary Coast: Perique, meet cubed cut burley.
McClelland Beacon Extra: Perique blast, meet McCelland Virginia blast.
GL Pease Telegraph Hill: some are overwhelmed, others underwhelmed.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I smoke PS LNF to the tune of a few pounds per year, but it's not what I'd call a proper VAPer. The Perique just adds a bit of depth there without being central to the flavor. Of the blends mentioned already, I'd recommend Escudo, McC's St. James Woods, and SG's St. James Flake as more representative of the genre. The SG is a pain to smoke, though - really incredible when it's good, but tough to get just the right moisture and packing for me. I'll throw in Solani 633 as another must-try. I'm sure many others are good too, but I don't try to keep up with everything out there.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
@oldsalt
It would also be helpful if you let us know what you've been smoking recently and some of your likes and dislikes. Otherwise the long list of great suggestions goes right back to hit and miss!

oldsalt

Lurker
Nov 20, 2014
Florida Keys
Thanks for all the feedback. It looks like I'll be adding a couple of more bulks to the initial order. Like I mentioned, I only want to get one, okay, maybe two top shelf tobaccos and the rest bulks. Thinking those two top shelves are going to be Escudo and St. James Woods. Or is it going to be Escudo and Marlin Flake? Or...?
Planning on getting only 1 oz. bulk samples so maybe that list is going to grow. :wink: In regards to likes and dislikes dottiewarden, when it comes to trying something new, I'm open-minded. Frankly, I like being surprised, especially when I have a preconceived notion of what it's "supposed" to taste like. I want to experience the spectrum and am fine with buying something I hate (as long as it didn't cost more than $5 an ounce!) Everyone's palate is different. Whether it's food, wine, or tobacco, you won't know if you like it unless you try it!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'm with OldSalt. There is a huge variety, even in the same family of blends. As an example, I'm not a fan in general, of aromatics. If I had let that get in the way of trying Quiet Nights, I would have missed smoking what is one of my now favorite tobaccos. I'm even acquiring a taste for Ennerdale.
I also like trying bombs of various sorts, e.g., Pirate Kake for Latakia. It helps me identify and acquaint myself with ingredients that provide background notes in other blends that use the same ingredients as condiments.
I'm going to order some Fillmore, not only because the folks here praise it so highly, but because it is a perique forward blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.