Tags:   

VaPer Curious

(41 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by odobenus
  • Latest reply from Machado
  1. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

Folks, I'm here to come clean. I've never tried a straightahead VaPer. I tend to be a strictly Balkan/English smoker. If you could recommend one -- only one -- you feel is the best and most inviting representative of the blend, what would it be?
    Escudo or something more local?
    Thanks.

Non Serviam
    Posted 4 months ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Starting with lat blends is natural as they are stronger flavored and more forgiving on the tongue. Escudo, though not my favorite, is a popular choice, but I'll through Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake, and Mac Baren Acadian Perique out there.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  3. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake?

Reminds me, will a VaPer ghost a pipe so that it won't be suitable to smoke pure VA anymore?

I can never taste VAs in pipes where I've smoked other things.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  4. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will second the recommendation of PS Luxury Bullseye Flake. But my current favorite is Samuel Gawith St James Flake. I’m also pretty fond of BriarWorks Back Down South.

And little Sir John and the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last
    Posted 4 months ago #
  5. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

In my very humble opinion, I agree that P. Stokkebye’s Luxury Navy Flake and/or Comoy’s Cask no. 4 are very good places to start (both are also available in bulk). They love a soft light and a very slow cadence, as you probably well know. I’d say once you spend enough time to get to know the flavor, treat yourself to some Escudo!

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 4 months ago #
  6. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I always found Escudo bland. Stonehenge is another favorite of mine.

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Reminds me, will a VaPer ghost a pipe so that it won't be suitable to smoke pure VA anymore?

I've heard it can though I've personally never noticed it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Escudo is a great starting place for figuring out what direction you want to explore in va/pers. For me, I realized that I like my va/pers earthy and spicy with few grassy-hay notes. GL Pease Telegraph Hill checks every box in what I like in a va/per and I now smoke it 90% of the time.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Stonehenge is another favorite of mine.

I’ve yet to try Stonehenge. It’s been on my to-buy for quiet a while now, along with some of the Captain Earl blends... I’ve got a tin of the Ten Russians that I’ve yet to crack.

You sure didn’t steer me wrong with the Frigate. I’ve more in the mail as I type

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I’ve yet to try Stonehenge.

Just a heads up, it is a slightly Lakeland blend.

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. kdfva

kdfva

Login to Send PM

Rattray Marlin Flake would be a good starting point for you in addition to the options above.

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

If I had to pick one I’d say Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. It’s cheap, it’s smooth, it’s delicious, and you can fit a ton of those flakes in a mason jar.

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  13. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

This is excellent and gives me a place to begin. Thanks everyone.

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now that Dunhill Navy Rolls have gone the way of the dodo my favourite is Solani 633 Virginia Flake with Perique. You can't get Escudo in the UK anymore and I have never tried it so I can't recommend it but I suspect it really is where you should start if it's as close to Dunhill's offering as most make out. St James' Flake by Samual Gawith is great stuff but wonder if it may be a bit fiddly to get to burn if you are used to English Mixtures.

Rattray Marlin Flake would be a good starting point for you in addition to the options above.

No, it wouldn't. It has black cavendish in it. It is delicious though.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Perique is such a subtle spice, mostly enhancing what the surrounding leaf brings to the table. It would be nearly impossible to imagine what a perique ghost would even be like. I even smoke straight perique at times, mostly when nothing else suits my mood. And, I smoke straight Virginias from the same pipes.

Escudo or something more local?

I'm curious as to what "something more local" means. What do you have access to?

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  16. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

Hey Cosmic, I just meant something produced wholly stateside, rather than grown/harvested/fermented here, shipped across the water to be blended/processed/packaged, and then shipped back over here.

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The new Sutliffe Va/Per Crumble Cake is not bad.

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls if you find 'em (similar to Escudo).

Scottish Cake from Robert McConnell is delicious.

McClelland used to make some good ones but unless you are lucky at some unused B+M they are unavailable, but Beacon and Tudor Castle were both exceptional.

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Drats... I was hoping to discover some new regional blend, ha ha.
    It always interests me when we get pipesmokers from Brazil or some other far off interesting place, and they put down their local blends, wanting to try some of our "exotic" Escudos and such, when it is their local cheap pipe tobacco that they've seen on shelves their whole life that is truly the exotic stuff.

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[yt]uCWsLYBZvWE[/yt]

Stupid antiquated software!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCWsLYBZvWE

[MEDIA=youtube]uCWsLYBZvWE[/MEDIA]

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

So true! Back in the late 90s I used to buy a mostly Brazilian 'Cristobal' blend from a B&M tobacconist and I've never seen or tasted anything quite like it since. In fact, I can find no other record of a tobacco by that name.

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pease - Six Pence is a nice starting point if you see a can to buy.

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

Escudo

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Reiner Long Golden Flake is my favorite VaPer.

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D va/per's and Peter Stokkebye's bulks are my go to blends but I tried Drexel VIII and was very impressed with it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Odobenus, that is why you have to savor those small regional blends before they go extinct. I am not sure how productive it is having all of us throw out the name of our favorite VaPer. One VaPer is not going to give you much of an impression of VaPers as a whole. Just jump in and start trying whatever you can find. Differentiating flavors, and ways in which the perique affects overall flavor, is one of the most appealing parts of this hobby. Jump in. Try them all.

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Viprati, Escudo and SG St James Flake are hard to beat. I dedicate pipes to VaPer blends and have found the Perique can definitely ghost a Briar.

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Ditto, Cosmic.

All the varieties of Virginia leaf, and to some extent Perique, present blenders with a mind boggling palette -- not to mention proportions, processing and presentation. So, pick a benchmark blend like Telegraph Hill or Escudo, and begin your exploration from there.

ps. I find that Latakia interferes with my sense of taste discrimination, so I avoid it -- always.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 4 months ago #
  28. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1/
    Marlin Flake
    St. James Flake ( just opened a 10yrs aged jar....I'm in heaven right now with this stuff )
    Solani 633
    Escudo
    C&D Mad Fiddler ( has other other things going on within the blend , but find I like the VaPer like qualities )

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

For me, the best American Va/Per on the market today, and one of the best I've ever smoked, is RO Perique Series GP-11. GL Pease Telegraph Hill and Sixpence are two other great classic American Va/Pers.

Escudo - though it ain't what it once was before STG took over making it - is still a pretty good Va/Per, and pretty easy to find.

Peter Stokkebye flakes improve with a few years of aging before being smoked. My take is that they're released too young. I really like Luxury Bullseye flake with a minimum of 4 years of aging before I smoke it. Fresh it's like smoking cardboard.

Mac Baren HH Acadian Perique is a fine blend.

For a very different take on a Va/Per, try HU Director's Cut.

Esoterica Dunbar is a very fine variant, a bit more of an aro with an apricot topping added to the Virginias and not all that much Perique in it.

Also on the short list are:

Rattray's - Marlin Flake and HOTW - though neither are strictly Va/Pers
    GP Pease - Fillmore and Haddo's Delight - also not strictly Va/Pers
    Gawith - St James flake
    D&R - Rimboché AB as well as all the other little Rimbochés, as well as VIP
    Hearth & Home - Anniversary Kake.
    Peter Heinrich's Curly Block.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 months ago #
  30. drrock

drrock

Login to Send PM

When it comes to VaPers, it's difficult for me to pick just one from a crowded field of terrific blends. Escudo & Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake are probable icons/touchstones in the genre. I'd add Solani 633 Virginia Flake with Perique as another good intro.

With respect to ghosting, I personally haven't had any issues with VaPers ghosting my briars. If you're mainly a Balkan/English fan wanting to try VaPers, I'd be more concerned with a Latakia ghost masking the subtleties of the VaPers. You might want to pick up a cob to try out your initial Virginia/Perique blend...

Posted 4 months ago #
  31. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

If you're mainly a Balkan/English fan wanting to try VaPers, I'd be more concerned with a Latakia ghost masking the subtleties of the VaPers. You might want to pick up a cob to try out your initial Virginia/Perique blend...

This is solid advice -- thanks. I just happen to have a virgin MM Morgan sitting here that I will set aside for my initial foray into the world of VaPer.

Posted 4 months ago #
  32. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

I recently got comoys cask #4 it seems pretty good seems a little spicier than some others iv tried

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 4 months ago #
  33. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Escudo ... even the stuff from STG. Get a couple/few tins, smoke one, stash the rest for a few years.

Posted 4 months ago #
  34. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

STG Escudo
    SG St.James plug or flake
    Solani 633 Virginia Flake with Perique
    Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

Posted 4 months ago #
  35. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on sablebrush52's recommendations. Among those, considering availability, I'd suggest Anniversary Kake or Acadian Perique. I think Acadian Perique has tiny amounts of some non-VAPer tobaccos, but not enough that it tastes like anything but a VAPer. Other blends that have been mentioned are excellent too, but I feel like these two are good intros to the style because they're quite flavorful. Some of the others may taste cigarette-like to someone just learning to smoke VAPers. I felt that way about Escudo and now it's one of my favorites.

Posted 4 months ago #
  36. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did get some cigarette-ish taste and scent from the bowl of Capstan that I smoked yesterday. I could also taste a citrus flavour in a few puffs too, though. First time I taste anything from a VA/VaPer. Maybe I scorched the tobacco with my many relights. Really looking forward to trying either Escudo or Anniversary Kake on that same pipe; should be interesting.

Isn't Wessex Brigade Classic Virginia a VaPer actually? I also have 50 g of that.

Posted 4 months ago #
  37. jeffro

jeffro

Login to Send PM

Some of my current VaPer favorites are in no particular order

Cornell & Diehl - Exclusive

Cornell & Diehl - Bayou Morning

Daughters & Ryan: SJ Rimboche

Posted 4 months ago #
  38. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Be prepared for the Jeckyll & Hyde nature of Perique. Some times, it's more sweet and "plummy", other times, "peppery" and can be any combination in the middle.

That's part of the reason there are a diversity of blends and opinions. Then, add in the thousand or so iterations of Virginia.

You definitely won't run out of new flavors in the VaPer category.

Viprati was my first and still rates highly for me.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 4 months ago #
  39. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Escudo is the place to start. It has great flavors, is a classic Vaper and most importantly you can find the stuff almost anywhere. When I came from the cigar world Escudo was the blend that showed me how good a pipe could be.

Harris
    Posted 4 months ago #
  40. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

This is a veritable treasure trove. You guys are the best.

Posted 4 months ago #
  41. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

Cosmic

It always interests me when we get pipesmokers from Brazil or some other far off interesting place, and they put down their local blends, wanting to try some of our "exotic" Escudos and such, when it is their local cheap pipe tobacco that they've seen on shelves their whole life that is truly the exotic stuff.

Yes, funny stuff.

I guess "The grass is always greener on the other side”, isn't it?

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kenbarnes, danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper