PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
I'm ready to try new va/per blends. Does anybody have any suggestions?

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
I'm not sure what you've tried so far, but McClelland's St James Woods is excellent, as is GL Pease Fillmore, Escudo, and Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake.
Those four seem to work pretty well for me, pretty much taking up the VA/Per portion of my rotation. :puffy:

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
There are so many great VaPers. Here are a few (among many) that I enjoy & come to mind immediately:

McConnell Red Virginia Superb

Solani 633

Orlik Golden Sliced

Reiner Long Golden Flake

McClelland 2015

Peretti Park Square

pipesandcigars.com Virginia Spice, Anniversary Cake, LJ Heart Virginia, & Louisiana Red

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I will have to respectfully disagree with my esteemed colleague roth. I say go for the gusto right off the bat and grab a tin of Escudo. It is the Vaper all others are measured by and it is the blend that opened my eyes to how great pipe smoking can be. Now granted I was a big time cigar smoker at the time and needed something with some serious flavor, but I don't believe the Perique in it is overpowering. It also ages beautifully.
The other 3 vapors that are in my rotation are:

Solani 633

Samuel Gawith St James Flake

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls( very similar to Escudo but sweeter to my tastes)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck and roth, does the Limerick have red's in it? I have been trying to buy just one tin, but it seems to only be available in 1 pound bags and I never buy a pound of a blend I have never tried. Is it a must have vapor for the cellar? Is it on par with my list of favorite vapors?

Dec 24, 2012
Harris, have you tried Dorchester? It is a bit like Dorchester (except in flake form) in that the perique is a teaser but does last throughout the bowl. I am the same as Roth in that I like that on occasion. In terms of the virginia, a sweet grass-like taste predominates, which I also quite like. If you like that combination, then go for it.
I don't notice any Red Vas - certainly if they are there they aren't noticeable to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I mixed up some McCellands Red Virginia Cake with some Cornell-Diehl Granulated Perique, and it

was quite respectable. Another round, I will go a little easier with the Perique and let the Red Cake

shine a little brighter, but it's not a bad blend, or mix. I guess a blend would be done under pressure

or sealed and aged. This was just impromptu.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I will have to respectfully disagree with my esteemed colleague roth. I say go for the gusto right off the bat and grab a tin of Escudo
I concur. I finally tried Escudo this year after smoking a pipe for over 10 years and immediately lamented not trying it right away. I'm now stockpiling virginias like no one's business and scanning these threads for recommendations. :D

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
ghost, ten years with no Escudo, the horror, the horror. lol
I grabbed all 6 tins of the Limerick that pipestud had along with 6 tins of 2007 Astleys no 109. The Astleys is a mild Va but has some nice flavors and ages really well. I was down to my last tin from 01 on that one.
peck, I did use to like Dorchester very much. I have gotten away from any ribbon cuts preferring my flakes so the Limerick should be a no brainer for me, especially with the age on it now.
roth, thanks very much for the heads up on that, I really appreciate it. I have bookmarked his site and will be checking often, he has some very good deals.

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I smoke Va/Pers 95% of the time. Here are a few of my suggestions:
Prairie Wind (4noggins)

Hal O' the Wynd

Haddo's Delight (favorite room note of the wife)
I may be about to get kicked off the site, but I didn't see what the big deal is with Escudo. It was a good easy smoke. Other than that I don't know what to really say about it. I guess I just thought it was just a safe neutral VaPer. I wouldn't turn it away, but at the same time I'm not going to chase it down.
Of course all this is opinion and may change like the direction of the wind.

magoo65

Lurker
Apr 10, 2013
There's a Va/Per showdown on another forum and I took those suggestions and started trying things. I'm new to this but here is what I've enjoyed and am cellaring:
Escudo

Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls

McConnel Scottish Cake

Sam Gawith St James Flake

Orlik Golden Sliced
I want to try GL Pease Triple Play and Filmore and am really looking forward to the (supposed) return of Dunhill Elizabethian Mixture

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am not much of a VaPer smoker - only one I ever enjoyed much at all is Peterson Irish Oak. I smoked one tin. I might consider repeating that one day.
And if HotW is a Va/Per, it's very, very, very light on the perique.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I second the vote for Irish Oak. I like the back bone it has.
I shill for McCelland a lot, but Beacon is a fantastic smoke for me.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Roth, you are completely correct on HotW being a fine blend. I like it because the perique is almost non-existent. I can enjoy perique in a latakia blend; I can enjoy it with burleys - e.g., H&H Beverwyck. But I have smoked a ton of Va/pers that I got samples of in box passes where the perique is quite noticeable, and it does not work for me.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
I wish I had started this post a while back. I tried a Vaper on my last order (MC Beacon) and I'm not overly impressed, I'm hoping it improves with age. Next order I'll try Escudo and one of the otheres listed above. I currently enjoy various English, lat blends, and some burley blends. I want to start putting Virginias in storage because they age so well, and I read so much about Vapers here on the forum. I had already planned on a pound or two of GL Pease blends, so maybe I'll get Fillmore along withe the Escudo.
This forum, really is full of enablers, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.