PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Like everybody else, I'm concerned about rising taxes on U.S. tobaccos and am doing my level best to lay in 1 to 2 lbs. a month for the dark days ahead.
I'm an English guy. But age has taught me that things do change. Sure, I've been drinking the same brand of Bourbon for over thirty years but I do know that tastes change. (In ten years Nightcap and Larry's Blend might not hold the allure they do today.)
On that note, would you please share your opinion(s) of H&H's "Rolandos's Own" and "AJ's VaPer?"
Aside from the fresh and vintage samples of Escudo, a fellow memeber shared with me recently, I know dick about Virginias and I want to find some stuff I can start laying down, every fourth buy, on the come.
P&C, at this time, seem to have the best prices for quality tobacco but I'm still buying a pig in a poke.
Your thoughts?
Fnord

briarben

Lurker
Mar 28, 2013
I have been wondering about Rolando's Own myself. Other than it I haven't had any experience with VaPers. Is it a good representation?

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I just got done with a couple of tins of AJ's VaPer. I am not a "Tobacco Reviewer" and mostly smoke VaPer's these days. I enjoyed this tobacco. It had plenty of nicotine for me. It was definitely on the far side of the perique peppery scale. I don't want to say it was too peppery for me but pretty close. I did not get any of the sweet taste from the Virginias in this blend. With that said I would buy it again.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
While PS bullseye gets great reviews I really dislike it. PS Luxury Navy is good and cheap but not best of the bunch. Astleys 109 got me in to Virginias and its still one of my favorite. But for my money nothing beats Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake.
Which of those are Va vs. Va/per someone else could probably tell you. But once FVF has been dried out slightly I cannot imagine anyone disliking it. Downright delicious. And my favorite thing about a good Virginia is the taste it leaves in my mouth the rest of the day. Highly suggested.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Aj's VaPers always gets high reviews here, and I have not tried rolandos own but the very worse blend of H&H is still 3 stars in my opinion, Russ does everything right. So give it a try and let us know!

kenoshakid

Might Stick Around
Feb 27, 2013
I recommend GLP's Fillmore, definitely one of my favorite blends. It's got a unique, distinct flavor that I haven't encountered in anything else. The perique bolsters it with a nice spicy kick. When I got back into pipe smoking a couple months ago, Fillmore was my first purchase.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
As you can see fnord there are a lot of Virginia's out there with the same amount of opionions. I have found the best way to shop is find a blend then go to tobaccoreviews.com and see what people are saying about that certain blend. It also helps to find a reviewer that has a taste similiar to you. Good luck and let the journey begin.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Rattray's Marlin Flake

Escudo

Solani 633

Reiner Long Golden Flake

Samuel Gawith St. James Flake

Esoterica Dorchester

G. L. Pease Haddos Delight

G. L. Pease Telegraph Hill

G. L. Pease Stratford

Dunhill Delux Navy Rolls

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
There are too many I like:
Louisiana Red

Anni Kake

Rolando's Own

AJ's VaPer

Escudo

SG St James Flake

Solani 633

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

Marlin Flake

Limerick

Reiner Long Golden Flake

Dorchester

Dunbar

Old Three Nuns (yeah, good luck finding the VaPer version)

Prairie Wind

H&H Virginia Spice, which really isn't very spicey at all. Virginia sweetness with maduro cigar leaf and light on perique. It's an all day smoke. Rothnh, if you haven't tried this, I think you'd like it.
... and another one that people overlook: Dunhill Elizabethan Match. It's close to the original, though I think it has more perique than the original. You need to like perique to like this one.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls - probably my favourite blend

Peterson Irish Oak - Very Tasty and pretty much ready to smoke right out of the tin, all other peterson blends I've tried have needed at least 30 mins drying time

Jul 15, 2011
I have two tins of rolandos own, one to smoke fresh and one to age. Probably gonna pop the tin here in the next couple of weeks, I'll be sure to let you know how it is.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Ditto what Roth said about Anniversary Kake. Amazing stuff.
Additionally, I'm fond of the following:
Escudo

Peterson Irish Oak (smoking some as I type)

GLP Fillmore

PS Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Bullseye Flake

McClelland Beacon Extra
And of course, as the king of VaPer hybrids, the exquisite Haddo's Delight.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
I would buy a tin of each of the reccommendations then stock up on your favorites after you've smoked them all.

If you want to go bulk I really love the mclellands Classic Virginia or their Vaper.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Rolando's Own was a no go for me . It made my mouth very dry and smoked hot.After three bowls of it ii tossed it and it has put me off wanting to try other vaper's

Status
Not open for further replies.