PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
Well, once again, I've been made to feel an idiot. I have been smoking a pipe for over 50 years and new terms (new to me anyway) keep croping up. What the hell is a "VaPer" and why do I care? Ats one of them big ole bats et hang upside down and suck your blood aint it? Maybe you've noticed, but every forum and/or group has its own special language with its own acronyms. I'm not sure why that is, but it is certainly true. Maybe its to keep out those that don't "speaka da language." Oops, that is probably not PC, but then, neither am I.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You have to remember most of us from the technology age are extremely lazy so we acronmyn everything lol. I believe Kevin still has the list of acronymns on the side bar for future reference. As for VaPer as said before it's a shortened version of saying a Virginia and Perique blend.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
"VaPer" is an actual term. It describes a blend consisting of Virginia (VA) tobacco(s) and Perique (Per), and potentially other condiment tobaccos in smaller portions (e.g., Burley). A Va/Per blend is commonly characterized by the sweet, peppery, dried-apricots-like fruity flavor. Archetypes of this tobacco style are "Escudo", "Luxury Bullseye Flake", "Hal O Wynd", "St James Flake", and many more.

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
Thank you very much. It seems that I have been using it for quite awhile without knowing the term. I have smoked Escuedo off and on for years and noticed it was one of those someone recommends. Thanks again.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Virginia - Perique (VaPer). I was confused about this when I started learning the lingo as well. I assumed people were vaporizing pipe tobaccos, and searched the internet high and low for how people were accomplishing this. It took a while to figure out what a VaPer was. Haha

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
The e-cig crowd refer to themselves as "vapers", I believe...
oldmooner, I consider Virginia Perique to be one of the most pleasant flavour combinations to be found in the world - food, drink, the whole shot.
You have tried Escudo - the rest are variations on the same theme, though few are done so well.
Samuel Gawith St. James Flake is a close contender for the VaPer crown but I think I prefer those ol' coins most of all.
I am not a huge fan of acronyms but it becomes second nature when you are speaking among a select few.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The e-cig crowd refer to themselves as "vapers", I believe...

I suppose they don't understand that in the 19th Century, ladies would excuse themselves to stay in another room, when they had the "vapers" so they wouldn't offend anyone with their malodorous fume. :nana:

Status
Not open for further replies.