PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Across the country, defective e-cigarettes -- the nicotine delivery machines that have taken over every strip mall and sidewalk, seemingly overnight -- are creating hundreds of victims like Cavins (a 63-year-old Orange, California-based family therapist who lost an eye after an e-cig device exploded in his face), people whose lives are suddenly and horrifyingly changed when their devices blow up. They are people like Thomas Boes, whose vape exploded while he was driving outside San Diego and struck him with such force that two of the three teeth he lost lodged in his upper palate; Kenneth Barbero, whose exploding device ripped a hole in his tongue; and Marcus Forzani, a 17-year-old whose left leg was charred from his calf to his thigh after a vape battery exploded in his pocket. An unpublished FDA analysis found 66 reports of e-cigarette overheating, fires, and explosions in 2015 and the first month of 2016, a number the agency calls "an underestimate of actual events."
https://science.slashdot.org/story/16/05/26/1710202/e-cigs-are-exploding-in-vapers-faces-at-an-alarming-rate
I never was really tempted by these things, mainly because one-more battery driven gadget in my life might send me over the edge -- if I have not gone already, but now I'm doubly certain to avoid them. They blow up like iPhones!

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I work in downtown Springfield MO, a block from the square. For the last couple years there was a vape store that I noticed last week had closed its doors. The windows are empty, inside nothing. Good riddance, I say.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
From what I've heard those instances typically are from really cheap poorly designed ionizers/batteries or people being idiots and ignoring the suggestion of keeping it away from phones or metal i.e. don't put them in the same pocket.
I never got into vaping myself. I'd rather just have a pipe or cigar.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I don't like people picking on me for smoking my pipe, so I wont pick on vapers. Do what you want but be ready to pay for the consequences.

Jan 8, 2013
Most of those incidents are caused by people not using safe practices with their devices. Often times caused by an unsafe coil build, using the wrong kind of batteries, putting the mod or batteries in a pocket with keys causing a short or causing keys to touch the positive and negative ends of a battery resulting in... you guessed it the batteries firing, etc. Often times the victim of a pocket fire admitted to putting the mod or batteries in a pocket with keys. It's normally not the devices but people doing stupid things with the devices.

Mar 1, 2014
In both the Flashlight and RC communities people are inundated with warnings to follow strict fire safety practices when charging Lithium batteries, standard recommendation is "never charge a battery unattended", if a battery dies on the charger it can start spewing toxic flames at extreme heat. Defective batteries can rapidly vent under stress, and if that's in a sealed compartment...

All my flashlights use NiMH batteries, I charge Lipo batteries in a steel bucket.

People see Lithium batteries in every electronics device and think it's "safe" (phones probably don't blow up because of a lack of strong power draw, and using expensive batteries with lots of safety features), but reality is they're the most volatile kind of battery we have.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Never been a fan of vaping and was never interested in it as I'm not a nicotine junkie. I don't smoke pipes and cigars for the nicotine. I smoke for the enjoyment of the tobacco and the ritual/experience. To me vaping is for those that need that constant nicotine fix. Other than getting some hot ash dumped in my lap on occasion, I don't have to worry about my pipes and cigars blowing up on me.
I've read stories of people spilling their vape juice and getting nicotine poisoning from having it contact their skin. Sounds like nasty stuff if you're asking me.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
It's normally not the devices but people doing stupid things with the devices.
That's more often than not the case. I've seen some ridiculous unneeded warning labels on power tools, etc. directed to idiots who probably can't read in the first place, have the I.Q. of an egg timer and should never be near a toaster much less a power tool. As my father used to say: 'There are more horses ass's then there are horses'.
NjRfcDO.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The combination of a gadget or gizmo of any kind and add to it a wide consumer demand and a gold rush to sell the item, and you have trouble in River City.

Status
Not open for further replies.