PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Another notch in the headboard for our government sodomizing our rights away....
http://604now.com/2014/10/vancouver-bans-e-cigarettes-in-public-spaces/

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Damn. They are making the push in Alberta to regulate e-cigs just like tobacco. Now that Van has made the move I'm sure AB will follow suit.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
We've lost our minds.

Someday when the workforce doesn't need me anymore, I'm going to get myself arrested for one of these stupid laws. And demand a jury trial, and remind the jury as best I can that it has the power to tell the state to shove it.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Good luck, @curl. Juries are largely made up of people too stupid to be able to make up a reason to skip out. I've got no statistics to back that assertion up, but I'm convinced of it.

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
I actually had an epiphany last Friday when my son and I went to the Texas State Fair. While we were walking around partaking in the experience I saw plenty of folk huffing away at those things and didn't think twice. We passed a couple of loners smoking actual cigarettes and I found myself remarking that it was such an uncommon sight these days.
Are we pipe and cigar smokers so different? I have only seen one pipe smoker in public in the last 10 or so years.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
The thin end of the wedge was a while ago - now it's getting thicker. E-smoking is a wide highway for the health and tax authorities, who - at least in the UK - are now just working how much they can rip out of the users.
@mcbragg - those jury stats are available in the UK and the ethnic/gender/socio-religious/stupidity mix is causing real problems in Crown Court trials. A fair trial before a jury of your peers is a thing of the past for many.
Andy

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
We don't have trial by jury anymore in the USA. We have a plea bargain system with occasional show trials.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
The politicians aren't stupid, the people that vote them in are. Only way they get there.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
In the US we have a barely known practice of jury nullification. The jury believes the facts, but does not believe it was a crime. Thus they acquit the defendant, to nullify the law.
I did this on a jury a few years ago. We believed that the guy "pushed" the girl. But we thought that she was probably screaming in his face, so he moved her away from himself. This might have met the definition of domestic abuse, but we disagreed that it was a crime.
FYI, they were both idiots and kinda deserved each other.
Winton

Status
Not open for further replies.