Van Gogh Smoked a Peterson?

(45 posts)
  • Started 6 months ago by foggymountain
  • Latest reply from saltedplug
  1. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In Self Portrait with Glass, 1887, he is smoking a pipe. It appears to be an army mount Peterson.

Posted 6 months ago #
  2. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 6 months ago #
  3. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd give my ear to own that pipe.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 6 months ago #
  4. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 6 months ago #
  5. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Ash,

That can be arranged. Pm me, I'll give you the my address where you can send your ear. Left one of course.

Then we will go from there.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 6 months ago #
  6. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is a joke in there about it gurgling so much it drove him mad but I won't make it.

Posted 6 months ago #
  7. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike, send me your Peterson and I'll send you a Dunhill that gurgles.

Posted 6 months ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

dare66

Login to Send PM

I'm beginning to see that some of you guys are a bit off center. I like it .

Posted 6 months ago #
  9. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Probably smoking some EAR-ly Morning Pipe in that Pete..............

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 6 months ago #
  10. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A very EAR-ly system pipe indeed, given that the patent dates from 1894.

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ears to ya Brother...

"the weez"...
    Posted 6 months ago #
  12. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm beginning to see that some of you guys are a bit off center. I like it .

The pipe was probably drilled a bit off centre too, hence the gurgling!

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 6 months ago #
  13. rodo

rodo

Login to Send PM

Well, he certainly made a good impression. (See, impression, like Impressionists, like impressionistic painting? Would have worked better if not for his being one of the Post Impressionists. Ah, well, it's late...)

Posted 6 months ago #
  14. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rodo, so your post was about a post involving a post depicting a post impressionist?

Posted 6 months ago #
  15. wolflarsen

wolflarsen

Login to Send PM

Ser Jacopo made a series of pipes based on those appearing in the paintings of Van Gogh.
    Check them out here - http://www.serjacopo.com/Jacopo/Pic_Home.html

Posted 6 months ago #
  16. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ser Jacopo says this.

I am thinking more like this.

Posted 6 months ago #
  17. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  18. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A few years back this very web page mentioned something about a museum exhibition. Vincent van Gogh Pipe Smoking Exhibit in Amsterdam If you really want to know what he was smoking it can probably be found out. He seems to have enjoyed clay pipes and cherry wood pipes most but briar near the end of his short life.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 6 months ago #
  19. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wonder what the guys smoked in them ... from what I read on his life he was quite a nut job. It may be due to funny stuff in his pipes and drink (absinthe back in those days was made by infusing real worm wood).

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 6 months ago #
  20. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike, send me your Peterson and I'll send you a Dunhill that gurgles.

I kid Ash, I kid. My two Petersons are excellent smokers, but you know what they say about low laying fruit.

Posted 6 months ago #
  21. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, he chose to live in abject poverty, letting his brother pay his lodgings and trading his paintings for food. He had this strange mix of priestly and artist mix of philosophies. Really, up until the invention of cameras, artists were needed to record the way people looked in portraits, and they were "kept" or patronized by the rich and royalty or even the church. Michelangelo would have been a someone who inspired Vincent, being in torment within himself between the animal self and "The Church." But, at the time, with art untethered from recording the way things look (because of the camera) and the lack of a church patronage, he had to just figure out what it was to be an artist at that time.

No, Being poor, Dutch, and wandering about the backwoods of France, in the Netherlands and Belgium, he would have been more likely to have smoked a pipe that was a precursor to Hilson... or just picked up broken clay pipes and repaired them himself.

Wasn't one of his pipes on display at one time, along with a painting.

Michael
    Posted 6 months ago #
  22. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

absinthe back in those days was made by infusing real worm wood
    And still is. In fact, once the ban was finally lifted in most places and people made real absinthe well again, modern absinthe was compared to old bottles with mass spectrometry and other methods and found to contain no more thujone, the alleged "hallucinogenic compound," than today's absinthe. Basically, people just drank too much in general and absinthe happened to get a bad wrap from one incident. It is all a fallacy. Absinthe was one scapegoat in the war on alcohol.

Posted 6 months ago #
  23. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is much bullshit surrounding Van Gogh, just as there is the Egyptian Pyramids. If I have to listen to one more, idiotic History channel explanation about how human being just weren't perfect enough to get the stones to fit together that accurately, I am going to puke. Personally, I believe that the History Channel should change its name to "Complete Bullshit" channel. Look, "let's look for Hitler in another place where we will find absolutely no evidence of him being there."

It's not unfathomable that Vincent had a mental problems with depression, and that his brother Theo was well aware of it; especially, since we have their whole collection of letters sent back and forth. What does blow people's minds is that Van Gogh had a style of painting that blows away what was currently happening in Paris. Why people would assume that he needed drugs to do such wonderful work is beyond me. The people I know of on drugs don't tend to do much of anything. It's not hard to fathom someone being good at art, without having to take a drug.

Posted 6 months ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Personally, I believe that the History Channel should change its name to "Complete Bullshit" channel.

As an academic historian, I am deeply shocked every time I turn on the history channel. It is full of shows on aliens, conspiracy theories, and general misinformation and disinformation about the past. I also have heard from scholars that the producers selectively edit their interviews to use in shows that the scholar did not support.

Cosmic's exposition about Van Gogh is right on.

Van Gogh painted that piece around 1887, so he had recently moved to Paris from the Low Countries. A low cost French make would be my guess, but that is only conjecture.

Posted 6 months ago #
  25. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hear that!

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  26. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just watched a movie "Loving Vincent" on Hulu. The entire film was painted by more than 100 artists. I enjoyed it very much, although it took a few minutes to get used to the animation. Here's the trailer:Loving Vincent Trailer

Posted 6 months ago #
  27. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, now we're 'ere talking about Tim's ear, I have to ask if it will pass a cleaner, and is the drilling perfect? Finally, is it coated, and if so, what is that coating?

Posted 6 months ago #
  28. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And the Histrionics Channel! I-yi-yi. I got suckered in to watching The Curse of Oak Island as the premise was interesting. But after ten episodes into the SIXTH season, they still haven't resolved a damn thing. But they've thrown out ideas that everyone from the Druids to Eric the Red was there, Blackbeard, Captains Kidd and Crunch. That there might be millions in gold bullion as well as the Holy Grail, Queen Isabella's jewels, Marie Antoinette's jewels, and God knows what else.

Posted 6 months ago #
  29. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love the possible explanation means that it is highly probable to have occurred.

Posted 6 months ago #
  30. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I quit watching the history channel years ago. As a matter of fact, I gave up our paid TV subscription entirely mainly due to poor programming at the more base level . I was a big History Channel fan back in the day, but Lord, how discredible it's become. I wonder if the turn about is somewhat a reflection of our society at large?

Posted 6 months ago #
  31. yohanan

yohanan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with most opinions about the History Channel, it has become a Soap Opera with little fact that is actually based on history that has any truth to it. As for Van Gogh's pipe, I don't know?

Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks...
    Posted 6 months ago #
  32. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Did a corn cob ever enter the conversation re Van Gogh? Not that I think he smoked one, but perhaps in a movie about him, or in one of his paintings there may be a pipe that looks like a cob?

Posted 6 months ago #
  33. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As someone who reads non-fiction, I find the "History Channel" less credible than Beavis and Butthead reruns.

Posted 6 months ago #
  34. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Dutch are and were pipe makers and smokers in those days, and since Van Gogh never made much money with his painting, I suspect he wouldn't smoke an imported pipe, so I'd bet it's Dutch, whoever made it. When in Amsterdam, see his museum.

Posted 6 months ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It could be a Dutch make. Do note that he was not living in the Netherlands at the time of this painting and he had also lived previously in England and Belgium.

Posted 6 months ago #
  36. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic If you are commenting on my drug related joke, I am not assuming that drugs and creative artistic work are correlated. All I said is that the guy was a nut job, and that he may have abused drugs/alcohol, I simply made no comment on his work what so ever. The fact that he was emotionally unstable and a bit on the cucu side is well documented in the Van Gogh museum, in Amsterdam. You see the EU is not that big of a place, we get to go places But on second thought ... this whole van Gogh business, it might be aliens.

Posted 6 months ago #
  37. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

Having studied a fair amount of history in my graduate program, I was surprised at how many anachronisms were present in their series, "Vikings." It didn't stop me from watching, though!

Posted 5 months ago #
  38. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

An article from a few years ago -

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-shows/vincent-van-gogh-pipe-smoking-exhibit-in-amsterdam/

You can also do a websearch on the various pipes he depicted in his paintings & drawings.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 5 months ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Man, I stumbled across this letter by one of Vincent Van Gogh’s friends after he died. His friend made a point to discuss Vincent’s pipe. http://www.webexhibits.org/vangogh/letter/21/etc-Bernard-Aurier.htm

Posted 5 months ago #
  40. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting read ...

Posted 5 months ago #
  41. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Still Life With Plate of Onions," 1889, has the same pipe. Peterson started to make the system pipe around 1865, though it was not patented until later. A man from Eastern Europe moved to Dublin, changed his name to Peterson, and showed a local pipe shop his way of making pipes. I think they were called K & P. They hired him, switched to his design and a few years later made him a partner. I have one pipe that says "K & P Peterson."

Posted 5 months ago #
  42. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 5 months ago #
  43. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's really very hard to identify a pipe well, from one of his paintings.

Posted 5 months ago #
  44. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hard to identify an onion too.

Posted 5 months ago #
  45. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally, I believe that the History Channel should change its name to "Complete Bullshit" channel. Look, "let's look for Hitler in another place where we will find absolutely no evidence of him being there."

and:

As someone who reads non-fiction, I find the "History Channel" less credible than Beavis and Butthead reruns.

I beg to differ! I mean Youtube has got everything I like to watch, and listen to. I mean, it's got Everything. It's a world unto itself. So what if the videos stretch a fact or two? It's free, and it's stupid, and I like that! Most importantly, it was how I learned about *ump, and Ill never forget the favor of that education. Who else tells the truth of the pyramids, and how those several ton stones were lifted into place other than with the help of alien spacecraft? Then too search on "most isolated" and you get a lot of thrilling footage, one with a lighthouse with barely enough space to stand, surely one of the most isolated and smallest islands on earth, so isolated you need a permit from Estonia to visit it. Then too there is a tribe on some island in India's sway inhabited by natives that are very aggressive, having killed two company men fishing too close to shore for clams. I need to know this! I'd planned on clam-fishing myself but now know one place I shouldn't go even if they do have world-class clams.

i've been watching the channel a great deal since last July when I turned on to popping videos.

So you see, Youtube and its content are indeed world class. It's free, and anyone can post their stuff, and they do. And it's really stupid and it's for me! I love Youtube! Youtube is Eternal, and it's stupid and it's free, and for me!

Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper