PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Just ordered a few bowls worth of match-blended ELIZABETHAN. I was curious, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about when it came to that magical, VaPer Nirvana that I've been reading about. I want to expand my tobacco experiences by smoking different blends. Right now, I'm smoking Lane Ltd. "HGL" mixed with McClelland #2050/ one part of each. I love it. It's mild, smells great, and, doesn't bite.
However, I wanted more. So, I ordered match "Elizabethan", and some Stokkebyes "Luxury Bullseye Flake" coins for some new taste adventures. Elizabethan came in yesterday's mail. SLBF is still on back order.
In a little while I will light up the Elizabethan. First time I will smoke a VaPer mixture. I sniffed the bag of tobacco, and like the sweet-ish, barnyard aromas. But, I also like sniffing bus exhaust, and nail-polish remover. Don't judge me. Have no idea what size pipe-bowl should be stuffed with dear Lizzy...I have no clue.
At this point, I just hope I could taste the differences between my old HGL mixture, and the Elizabethan. I really don't know how to pin point the all the different tobacco flavors yet. I'm expecting a totally different smoke between HGL and Elizabethan.
Frank
Edited by jvnshr: Title correction.

Perique is a wild card, and how it affects the blend and flavor is dependent on how much is used. I use the analogy of cinnamon, a little added to some sugar will add a pleasant enhancement to the sweetness. But, if you added a lot of cinnamon, it will be hot and spicy like a Fireball jawbreaker. And, varying degrees of differences along the spectrum.
So, add in how seet the Virginia is, is there any burley or orientals, etc... how much is added, and which variety of perique, and you can see that there's no wonder that we have thousands of different VaPers out there.
Welcome to the wonderful world of the illusive and majestic perique.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
St. James Flake by Samuel Gawith is a great VaPer but is just pipped by McClelland's #2015 VaPer flake which has marginally more Perique.
I am currently road testing six American VaPer samples kindly gifted by a forum member of which I write up will be posted in due course.
Regards,
Jay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I just cracked a 3 yr. old tin of C&D's Chenet's Cake. It's about as close to the "cooked-fruit, musty, mushroom-like" description that McClelland ascribed to their blending Perique. Ineffable flavor, heady experience, and likely to overwhelm the novitiate. I may use this to break in a new pipe. I dunno. I'm gonna smoke just a few more bowls, then wait to see if my pee-pee falls off.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Can't go wrong with bulleye flakes. A fun thing I tried was I ordered some straight perique and started adding a pinch of it to my regular tobaccos and trying that. McClelland 5100 red cake and perique is awesome.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Chacun à son goût, as they say in the land of many cheeses.
Perique, like Latakia comes down to personal taste. With both, there are folks who love it from the start, other who can acquire the taste if they don't have it right off the bat.
As for me, every couple of years (for the past 35+ of pipe smoking) I'll work up enough nerve to try a blend with Perique in it. Every time it's the same: Instant regret. The taste of even a little bit overwhelms everything else in a profoundly unpleasant way. One of the worst headaches of my life was when I forced myself some years ago to smoke an entire bowl of OGS, because -- dammit -- people love the stuff. Bottom line: I cannot abide the Perique in any measure.
On the other hand, there is no mega-tonnage of lat-bomb that I don't simply LOVE. It literally makes my mouth water just to smell a lat-forward blend in the tin. Latakia blend tobaccos than cause some folks to run shrieking in terror and to tent and fumigate their homes simply leave me wanting more.
Who can explain it?

Who can tell you why?

Fools give you reasons.

Wise men never try.
In the end, especially for the guy who's new to this, the greatest rewards come from bold experimentation. And it does make sense to circle back, as one's tastes do change. Worst case scenario you blow ten or eleven buck on something you hate. Then you toss the entire thing into the Box Pass next time it comes around, and somebody else will love it.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I also mix 5100 with various levels of perique for testing.
McClelland 2015 is darn good.
Also I love PS Luxury Twist Flake. It's a straight virginia with a light vanilla/coconut flavor that you can actually taste.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
St. James Flake by Samuel Gawith is a great VaPer but is just pipped by McClelland's #2015 VaPer flake which has marginally more Perique.
I am currently road testing six American VaPer samples kindly gifted by a forum member of which I write up will be posted in due course.
Regards,
Jay.
I have to thank you, Jay. I've had 2015 for years in my cellar but I remember being unimpressed with it when I tried it a long time ago. You've inspired me to revisit it and I'm really lovin' it this time around! I'm gonna buy a large stock of it soon and start aging it in small jars. Good stuff!
Have you tried Brindle Flake yet? One thing I have noticed and a lot of folks have mentioned this too, McClelland's (as well as others) definitely develop once the tin is popped. I always try to gauge when I might want a McClelland VA because it's worth planning it out. I'll open a tin 1 month before I actually plan on smoking it. I'll remove the lid for several minutes every few days to expose the leaf to fresh air for the 4 weeks before I start smoking it and I'm telling you the difference is night and day. Too many people write off a blend too soon and may not experience it's full potential because they have not given it a chance to aerate. it's as if the blend goes into hibernation and exposing it to air for several weeks wakes it from its deep slumber.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Wow.....You guys wax poetic ehen it comes to your fav VaPer blends. I read though all the interesting responses...all information packed. I can't wait until a little later to stuff the briar and sip some smoke. I hope I'm in for a treat. The aroma of this blend is intoxicating. I just sniffed the bag again, for the fifth time today.
Even if I don't like what I am about to smoke I will still try out other blends of these two tobaccos. I hope I'm up for the smokey journey. I'll let you know how it all turns out.
Later......
Frank

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Virginia/Perique is of the fondest tobacco marriages made. When Greg Pease combined ed VA with Izmir we tried it and liked it. But no one had to tell us to like VA/Perique, this pairing as inevitable as a burger and fries or bagel with cream cheese.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Try the Irish Oak. A glorious fortified Va/Per!
I've been smoking the S.Y.P. Ke/Va/Per, which is Brown Twist Sliced mixed with Burley Flake #1. I tend to add a few pinches of Royal Yacht for sweetness, and dark Burley as tinder.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I like everything I have tried that has Perique in it. Gotta keep trying I guess.
Cortez, I don't think you can say 'pee-pee' here. OOPS, I said it too! 8O

Imma perique freak. Strong Burley and Dark Virginia twists put me to sleep, but perique and a cup of coffee, and I'm ready to get stuff done. I talk too much, and sort of bounce around, with tools flying... and constantly looking for things that I had just had in my hand a minute ago. When I pop a tin of Haddos Delight, I'm sucking that jizz down my pipe like Tony Montana in a Miami nightclub with a rolled up hundred dollar bill. YEEHAW!! :puffy:

Reactions: TheWhale13

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Frank is back.
Just finished VaPer-izing. Charged a big bowled pipe with match-Elizabethan and had a wonderful, flavorful, smoking experience. Tobacco tasted sweet, mellow, not harsh, not steamy, didn't burn hot and tasted a little grassy? The fresh tobacco reminded me of sweet hay. Is that the Virginia tobacco that I tasted? Perique...not sure what this tobacco should taste like. I don't think it was strong, or peppery.... is there enough Perique in Elizabethan to be notice? The aroma was very pleasant, and didn't choke me. It wasn't exactly "aromatic" and the room still smells nice. Definitely not like cigarette smoke, which always makes me gag. I think I liked this mix, but having never smoked any other VaPer blends I can't say it with any certainty. I thought I might be feeling just a little dizzy towards the end of the smoke, but it could've been just my imagination. I don't feel queasy either. Are the VaPer blend generally high in nicotine? I hate nic headaches.
I want to try more VaPer blends. You guys recommended some other VP blends. I will buy some and try them, and thanks.
Elizabethan was a very different smoke than the Lane Ltd HGL/McClellen #2050 mixture. Not better, but different. Thumbs up for the VaPer blends.
Frank

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Tobacco tasted sweet, mellow, not harsh, not steamy, not hot and a little grassy?
Bright Virginias tend to taste in the hay, honey, lightly toasted grain and fresh oatmeal zone.
I love Elizabethan Mixture, but it's a bit sugary for me, and not enough nicotine, so I went with Royal Yacht.
But, still a lovely smoke!

Has anyone said Escudo? I'm usually the one saying that Escudo isn't necessarily the vanguard of perique blends, but everyone should have an Escudo experience. Always buy three tins, one to smoke right away, one for three years from now, and one for even further down the road, and always buy them in threes. You'll appreciate it latter. It's like a kaliadascope of tobacco blends, always changing and getting better and more interesting.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I specifically bought "match-Elizabethan" because I read that Dunhill is phasing out their tobaccos. I didn't want to chance loving a blend that's almost semi-defunct, and will be retired shortly.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hawky, no I haven't tried Brindle Flake (but I did read your review on TR.com) and am unlikely to do so as I haven't had much success with the several McClelland straight virginias I have thus far tried. They all seem to be lacking in the flavour department for me. Give me FVF over them any day.
I do like their VaPer blends however and really enjoy my #2015. Though I've only ever smoked it fresh I can't imagine how it would taste with a few years under its belt...especially so now that Michael has informed me VaPers age very well.
I have several jars in my cupboard plus more on its way courtesy of my tobacco enabler :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.