PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Hello,
I am going to vacuum seal my tobacco for the first time, I got my one of the sealable mason jars.

The thing is that I have no idea how to do it, I can't find a proper video on it and the instructions that came with the jar are written in a broken English(Made in Italy).
Could anybody direct me?
Here is the picture of the jar.

quattro-stagioni-amphora_17oz_big.png

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I just stuff the tobacco in fairly tight and tighten the seal. I'm smoking PSBS that I did this way in 2004 and it's perfect. 8O

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
I am a perfectionist, and I can not control my impulses.

2 reasons to get it done.

If you just put the tobacco in the jars, the jars eventually pop down to a seal. Whether it is microbes using up the oxygen or just barometric pressure... it works.

I expedite the setting of the seal sometimes by keeping the jars in boiling water until I fill them. The heat seems to help set it.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
per what I've read here, do not vacuum seal tobacco.

you just want to stuff as much in the jar as you can then twist the lid as tight as you can.

Oxygen is necessary to the tobacco aging process.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Oxygen is necessary to the tobacco aging process.
Perhaps.
There isn't much in the way of published research to support that claim. But, either way, by the time pipe tobacco lands on your doorstep, it's spent a lot of time out in the air. If it's anaerobic action that you want, you are best off getting the O2 out of the package.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I just stuff the tobacco in fairly tight and tighten the seal.
I would also blow some hot air inside it. After closing the lead the air inside will cool down, pressure will drop and the lid will become tighter.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Oxygen is necessary to the tobacco aging process
Depends on what kind of tobacco you want to "age". If it is an aromatic or has appreciable amounts of Latakia you do not what oxygen in it. The oxygen will oxidize the aromatic chemicals. A full Virginia? by all means leave some O2 in there.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Kanse, it all depends on your ultimate goal. If to simply preserve the baccy as is then perhaps vacuum sealing might be the way to go.
However if your aim is to 'age' the baccy in the hope of improving it somewhat then by all accounts that I have read state quite clearly that oxygen is a necessary component in the jar for the anaerobic processes to work.
It's all down to what you expect to find once you open the jar after X months/years.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.