Vacuum sealing tins?

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 month ago by alaskanpiper
  • Latest reply from 3rdguy
  1. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Hello All,

I am a lazy bastard with an infant at home (already a bad mix). I do not want to open an assload of tins and jar them all up. Nor do I want to buy an assload more jars that I then have to label and store.

But I hear a lot about tins eventually losing their seal and popping, rusting up from the inside, etc. when cellared for a long period of time. Being a hunter/fisherman in Alaska, I have massive amounts of vacuum packing supplies. I have seen some people vacuum sealing their esoterica bags, which I am pondering doing with the big whopping two that I have. I have also seen alot of discussion here about folks wrapping their tin joints in electrical tape, etc.

I am wondering would it be beneficial to vacuum seal my tins to protect against popped seals, pinholes, rust, etc. Especially the square ones that seem to be more prone to popping? This would be much faster, and I would think safer, than jarring and labeling...just toss the whole tin in the bag as is and vacuum seal that sucker. No need for jars, lids, or labels.

Has anyone done this? Would it impact the way the tobacco ages? Am I an idiot? Thoughts?

Frank

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 month ago #
  2. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Sorry all, just finally found an older thread that goes into this in detail. Is there a way to delete this or is that mod territory?

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nono. You started it, now it runs. It seems like you've discovered a new method of packing stuff. I suggest we name it The Frank Method.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  4. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Someone on here was vacuuming their tins a few years ago, maybe Peck?
    Seems like an easy extra measure if you already have the set up...

Isaac

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  5. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have some 3 Nuns from the 90’s I vacuum sealed. Had some left over bags laying around so figured why not.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tnfan, laniromee, chasingembers, donjgiles, alaskanpiper, husky, jfred, elasmo, jiminks, jojoc, craig61a, mindglue, jabomano, oldgeezersmoker, mikethompson