PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I've been a bit irritated lately with the round vacuum sealed tins. In my last two orders I've placed I've noticed two tins that I could unscrew with very little force. I just wanted to test the seal to see if I needed to jar it immediately and the top came right off! Leaving me to believe the vacuum seal really isn't holding up which dissapoints me with a brand new tin. Has anyone else been having this experience?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If the tin was dropped at the warehouse, or the box was dropped and the contents weren't protected by styrofoam or something it will cause the seal to break. I've had this on 2 tins, one had a dent in it, the other I'd dropped myself, both had compromised seals. You could send an email to the company if you want.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I'm just curious about whether the tins that opened so easily were still under a vacuum. The sound of the vacuum seal releasing is unmistakable. I've only had a bad seal occur with a couple of rectangular tins.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Years ago,I sometimes scouted out tins with more age at a local B&M (read cigar store that sold a little pipe tobacco). I noticed that the tobaccos were exceedingly dry. Some were tinder dry. I later found out this idiot used to open the tins when they came from the distributor to check the contents. Other than that place, I've never found a tin I bought or had shipped break its seal, even on those occasions where I've dropped them.
Mike S.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm just curious, were they from Pipes&Cigars? I had two tins of Bengal Slices open up in transit and spill out all over the shipping container, also a tin of War Horse. Hope they fix that lil problem.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Hawky yes, mine were War Horse and Smyrna. Now i'm checking all of my tins when they come in. I'm sorry to hear yours came undone in transit! What a bummer.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I always check my tins when I receive them. Very rarely do I find compromised tins, but it is worth the effort when I do.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I have had this happen to me as well on rare occasion. I'd say out of the 500+ round tins I've purchased the past couple years it has happened to fewer than 5, so less than 1% of the time.
The first occasion was a tin of MacBaren London Burley back in 2012 that was so incredibly bone dry I called the online retailer explaining what happened and they sent a new one free of charge. I ended up rehydrating the stuff and all ended well, but yes it is a little annoying. It was this experience that led me to start checking each tin for a good seal before adding it to my cellar.
The most recent was a 100g tin of Erinmore Mixture last month. Fortunately, it appeared the seal was broken in transit because the contents were still fresh. I just jarred it up and kept chugging along.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Never had it happen but then again I don't check all of my tins upon arrival. Us pipe smokers are more like Walruses.... always looking for a tight Seal.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I've had a single tin fail and it was a tin of SG Aged Virginia flake. Luckly as SG flakes are so moist by the time I noticed it was about perfect moisture.
Every now and again I'll go through the cellar and give my tins a quick tap, if the seal is compromised the tins sound different.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Good to hear it's not that common. I was just wondering if it were specific to these types of tins.

May 4, 2015
How do you check them? I'm afraid I'd go checking my tins and I'd accidentally open one that was fine or something. If they still look sealed (ie. the top looks a little concave like it's still under pressure) they're probably ok?
Now I'm paranoid.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Many can be gently shaken. For the round 50 and 100 gr tins, you shouldn't get much if any rattling of the tobacco. Tins that have loose contents, say the Gawith flakes for example. They will sound like the tobacco is harder when it makes sound against the tins. I personally wouldn't give it too much thought though. Pretty rare really.
Mike S.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Most of the new SToP tins are poorly sealed............. sad but true, Warhorse should be re-named "peace pony"... I have not been too impressed with these........... :|

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
I'd been thinking about a vacuum sealer such as the Crenova for safely laying in stores of my beloved Bengal Slices, sounds as if that may not be overkill after all. It sure can't hurt, especially if one was considering resale value come doomsday.

Status
Not open for further replies.