PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have a week of travel coming up soon.
Looking at the pipe rack and the open tin chest, I'm hoping to strike a balance between variety and portability.
Especially as I am on two wheels and space is a premium. I'd like to know how little/much some of you have found appropriate for traveling.
I'm thinking 3 pipes and 3 tins should keep me happy. Maybe I'll score a 4th "souvenir" purchase on the road.
Most likely those tin contents will go into more space friendly zip-lock bags, a necessary evil for minimal space usage.
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

May 4, 2015
Dude.. I am the wrong guy to ask. Every time we take a trip, I overpack smoking apparatus like a mad man. My tobacco cooler... Yes cooler.. ALWAYS ends up with more in it than I'll ever get to, even with nothing to do but sit around a camp fire.
I'd stick with your first idea and pack three tobaccos and three pipes. Maybe like... One aro, one English, one Virginia. That's always what I intend, but it ends up four to five times that.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Well, I just got my first pouch of Carter Hall in.
Maybe I'll go all Uber-Codger with one cob, one pouch and one pipe cleaner, like real men used to... :puffy:
Still open to options somewhere between that and Tom's pull behind tobacco trailer. :rofl:
jay-roger.jpg

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
As it happens I am off on an eight day holiday this morning - a river cruise down the Rhone in France.
I have packed two pipes, a fistful of cleaners, one pipe tool, one day pouch, and around 100g of SG Navy Flake in a small Tupperware box. Holidays for me are about travelling light.
Mike

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I have actually been more impressed with Carter Hall and Mix 79 than I have many of the fancy ones. However, I need to start using matches after reading several threads on the diff between them and Butane. In the old days of green tobacco we were used to "firing that mother up. Doesn't work so well for Tobacco.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I'd say you're right on the money. I spend my life on the road, sometimes for weeks at a time (oilfield). For a week long stay away from home I might take 2-3 pipes and 2-3 open tins. I almost always pack my Meerschaum (because I can smoke it non stop without worry) plus a briar or two and grab a little variety of tobacco. I use it as a good excuse to finish up a tin that I may have opened and only smoked a few bowls out of. I usually smoke 2-3 bowls a day. I wish I could recommend taking cobs but I can't truly say that I do the same. I own several but don't really enjoy them like I do a briar. I save them for yard work, fishing, or other times when I could potentially ruin them and honestly care less. But I can definitely see how they'd be beneficial for travel.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm no help either. Just heading to the store I pack 2 pipes, and a whole lot of tobacco. You never know if you will get stranded and need to smoke. Better too much than not enough.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just packed for a trip to New Orleans/Gulf Coast, we'll be on the road for 10 days (flying, then car rental).

It took about 8 minute to pack my clothes....but about 30 to pack up my pipes.
Seven pipes in socks go in one, hard-shell foam glass pipe case. That goes in a smaller, hard-shell cooler that I use as a carry-on (hold my chargers, etc.) Then, at the beach, we have a cooler. I stick in two small mason jars of tobacco (2.5 oz each), MM965 and OGS. My match case (new, from Amazon, found in a related thread). This also just reminds me to pack one lighter (it goes in my checked luggage). I stick my one-pipe bag in the cooler with walking around. I used to put the tobacco in their original tins, but now just stick the smaller mason jars in the cooler.
In the hard-shell cooler, everything is protected in the airport, shuttle, overhead bin, etc.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ready to roll to the airport this afternoon. Seven of my smaller pipes fit in the foam case.

If I'm traveling by car, I use one of my standard pipe bags, but for air travel, I've found this safest means to protect the items.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
This is an interesting dilemma, the hoarder in most of us pipe smokers wants to prepare for the apocalypse trip it seems. I am going to Peru next year and it has been in the back of my mind what should I bring. Flying adds a few conundrums if you will, and going minimal as if I was on two wheels is necessary. I would think like Tom except no aromatic, English VaPer and VaBur maybe.. desert island blend choices.. :puffy:

Oh and SS that's a nice move/setup.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Didache, drink some of those fine Rhône region wines for me, that sounds like a fun trip.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You guys are neatniks! If gone for a week I stash 8-12 pipes and a half pound of tobacco in a double bagged container. Here's how I "packed" for the last pipe show. [not recommended!]
KGNizOf.jpg

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I have spent most of my working life on the road and usually my vacations involve a pipe event but my Smokin' Holsters Ultimate Pipe Bag is my choice for pipe luggage. 8O

dscn2910.jpg

May 4, 2015
^ That is amazing - and likely three times more expensive than any single pipe I own! :rofl:
And, John: That is ridiculous.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Traveling by car gives you some room to over-pack. Two pipes and three baggies of tobacco should be plenty for a week. Just rotate the pipes every other day, to give them a day to dry out. I guess it depends how you travel, and if you smoke while driving in the case of a car trip. I always expect to smoke somewhat more than I do, by the time I travel, settle into lodging, and do whatever recreational and/or tourist things I have planned. If I get two or three leisurely smoking sessions during a week, I feel like I'm doing well. As a tactic, I tend to pack my pipes and gear in an unassuming shaving kit, a nylon dap kit that looks like it has my toothbrush and shaving gear. My pretty leather churchwarden case would attract attention and maybe kleptomania.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I usually pack 3 to 4 pipes and 3 to 4 tobacco's. Handful of cleaners plus TWO pipe tools.
You guys have some really nice setups.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
We will ride the the Czech Republic this weekend and will be on the road one week on our bikes. I will pack two Falcons, a pack cleaners, tool and lighter and three packs of Golden Sliced. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.