PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I've gone through my pipes and found the majority have a bore somewhere between .70-.78", a few are quite narrow at .62 and the largest is .95. I have a dead spot in the 20-22mm zone and have long considered that to be "big pipe" territory. Somewhere along the way I've taken in that big pipes and va don't play well. But now I find myself wondering if that really is the case.
So I'm just curious if any of you folks have a favorite VA pipe that falls somewhere between 20-22mm or roughly .80-.85". If so, what style VA's have you found most complimentary, if any?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
As for Flake specific pipes, I think I recently re read the opinions of both G.L.Pease and Russ Oulette and they're at opposite ends. GL likes a large, and Russ a more narrow...

Seems most of the brothers (and there WERE some sisters) here are in Russ' camp.

The rather large Savinelli I got yesterday has a tapered bowl, about an inch wide at the top and almost 2.5 inches deep. I christened it with some vintage LA Flake and it burned almost to the very bottom with one relight.

I usually use a narrow bowl, and like to use one of my estate thin walled estate Beuschers.

I realized that even cobs deliver a more 'mature' flavor with age.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
To me, it doesn't have to be either/or nor does it have be better/worse. I smoke flakes in small pipes and large. The experience is just different. I would say in general, smoking flakes in a pot opens and broadens the flavors, making it easier to pick out the distinct flavors and notes. Smaller pipes produce a more refined, melded, integrated and focused smoke.
But I have certain pipes, specifically MM Freehands and Generals and a couple of briar billiards and pokers, that seem to bring the best out of any blend.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
VA and VA/Per flakes always seem to go better in about a .70 x 1.25 for me. Anything larger and I get blend exhaustion anyway, just because it lasts so long.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I tend to lean toward what aldecaker wrote, I gravitate towards .75"-.80" diameter and 1.25-"1.75" depth, I also like smaller bowls a lot since I rarely get the chance to finish a bowl in one outing and if I forget and pack another they tend to accumulate. If I have to smoke VA's or VA/Per's in a large diameter bowl I like it to have a shallow depth, my Eskimo made from Strawberrywood by Scottie Piersel is one such pipe, cheers.

banjo

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Almost all of my flake pipes are at .75-.82. I do have 3 pipes that are 7/8 and I smoke flakes like Astleys 109 and Wessex Brigade Campaign in them, as they smoke them very nicely in the larger bore.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
This is the pipe with the largest chamber in my rotation. I can load fully rubbed Hamborger Veermaster, and, if I pace myself, is a very nice smoke. Bites if pushed. As of late, I tend to gravitate towards mixtures ( RY, Elizabethan, 3yr Mature ) and learned they open up a bit more in this big guy.
Irish Flake and the such are better suited in narrower chambers for MY taste.....

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I went on the SPC site a while back to pull the trigger on that pipe,RC, and it was gone. My disappointment is now allayed by seeing it is in your possession. It looks like it is a great pipe. Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.