PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Hello all!!

Pretty sure this ? has been asked by many before me, but seeing as you all are my go to source for some great tobacco, I thought I would ask.

I have been working my way through the various blends and types of pipe tobacco over the last 18 months or so and now I have got to straight VA's. Right now I have got a year and a half old Gawith tin of FVF and two tins of McClelland 40th aniv of which I have opened neither. I ordered and opened a tin of McClelland Blackwoods Flake and I think its fantastic. The more I have smoked of it the more the flavors keep revealing themselves. So any suggestions for some good VA flakes?. Are the tins I listed above worth cracking and smoking or should I hold them and just order more of that to smoke now?

I will pretty much try and tobacco once, so any advice from you guys would be much appreciated!
Thank You!

This is a job for... Cgrmaster Harris, who will be along shortly with his list of flakes that he demands that we all smoke. Ha ha, he does have a pretty good list, especially if you don't want any reds in the blend.

Also, keep in mind that a McClelland flake is not going to be like a Samuel Gawith flake.

One of my own personal favorites is Dark Star, but it is best smoked after cube cutting or grinding it down.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
SmokingPipes.com has a "Tobacco Locater" feature in their navigation bar.

A quick search netted ~50 Virginia-only flake brands that they carry.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/the-tobacco-locator.cfm?component=1&displayNum=24&cut=12&sortOpt=default&componentExclude=8,2,6,9,7,4,3,5&family=2&page=2
TobaccoReviews.com also has a useful search feature.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Reds, Blacks, Stoved, I will try any and all!

I am enjoying heavier(taste and moderate strength) blends as of late. Irish flake and Ten Russians have been my latest daily ones(neither being a straight VA). I don't think I have the palate yet for the subtle flavored blends.

Just seemed that Blackwoods Flake really has the right combo of flavors that just hit that sweet spot.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Just a quick note on searches. Even though you're seeking straight Virginia flakes, be aware that minute amounts of Perique are often added to mitigate Virginia's natural piquancy. So you may want to include Perique in your search criteria, then check some reviews to see if the Perique content is negligible.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Anyone have experience with this? Is this the inevitable destination of all tobacco journeys?
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/gawith-hoggarth/Happy-(Brown)-Bogie-Unsliced/product_id/3993/bulk

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I thought it was among the best of the several ropes I tasted. Preparation is a bit of a PITA.

A bit too much flavor for me, so I passed along my sample to someone else.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
McCrainie's 2008 Red Flake is tasty and my last order had tins from 2012; so popped it open and crystal sparkles met my wondering eye, it was delicious.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's a few you may want to explore that haven't been mentioned: Capstan Blue, Dunhill Flake, MacBaren HH Pure Virginia, Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, Solani Silver Flake, C&D Carolina Red Flake, among others.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I smoke Solani silver flake and have a bunch in my cabinet..I enjoy it.. Wessex seems to get fairly high praise. I read your reviews of them Jim, so that goes on the list.

Would orlick count as a European VA?..I have tried three of their blends and did really like them. They seemed to have an odd sweetness.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I guess the Orliks would, Drbenway. I like the GS and Racing Green the best.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here is the list of Flakes and others I keep in stock. The TR next to a name means tin ready, smoke right out of the tin with no drying time needed. I like my flakes on the moister side as for my tastes, I get more flavor than from a dry flake. If you have any questions about anything on the list, please feel free to ask.
Virginia Flakes:

Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug TR

Fribourg and Treyer VintageTR

Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown FlakeTR

Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark FlakeTR

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Brick TR

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

Samuel Gawith full Virginia Flake

Hamborger VeermasterTR

Dunhill Flake TR

Astley’s no. 44 Dark Flake TR

Astleys 109TR

John Aylesbury Luxury Flake TR

Rotary Navy CutTR

Capstan Blue FlakeTR

Brigham Klondike Gold TR
Virginia/Perique Flakes

EscudoTR

Solani 633 TR

Samuel Gawith St James Flake

Dunhill Deluxe Navy RollsTR
Virginia/Burley/Kentucky Flakes

Solani Silver Flake TR

Peterson Perfect Plug

GL Pease NavigatorTR

Petersons Irish Flake

Peterson University Flake

Esoterica Stonehaven

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Wallace Flake TR

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky TR
Aromatic flakes.

Mac Baren Modern Virginia Flake TR

Mac Baren Vanilla Creme Flake TR
Straight Aromatics

Sutliff Molto Dolce

Cult Blood Red Moon

Amphora Originial

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Cigrmaster-Thanks for the list! I have quite a few of the same on hand in the Va/Bur category!!!..I see or don't see any McClelland on your list. Is that just a taste preference or have you found better examples of that particular blend from other companies?

Also in you straight VA list, out of all those listed, which one you recommend right now? Something that just kind of struck you as being very good(taste being subjective I know) and definitely worth a try. The first time I smoked Escudo it really opened the door for me taste wise and were any of those like that for you?
Thank you sir!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
dr, I tried smoking a bunch of different McClelland flakes years ago and all of them had too much red virginia in them which burns my tongue in a big way. The only blend on my list that has any reds in it is the Solani Silver flake. It has a small enough amount that it does not burn me.
It is funny you mentioned Escudo as that was the blend that opened the way for me to enjoy pipe smoking. I was a big time cigar guy and all the blends I had tried before Escudo just didn't do anything for me. I would grab a tin of Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake as it is one of my favorites and it smokes very nicely even fresh. I have more tins of this blend than any other in my cellar. I just checked around and of the big 3 suppliers I use only 4noggins has it in stock. This blend is very hard to find at times. You might want to grab it while the getting is good. I also checked to see what else they had from my list if you want to fill in an order to get free shipping.
They also have:

Solani Silver Flake and 633

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

Capstan Blue Flake

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake 250 gram box. No tins.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Anyone have experience with this? Is this the inevitable destination of all tobacco journeys?
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/gawith-hoggarth/Happy-(Brown)-Bogie-Unsliced/product_id/3993/bulk
Heck yes it is. Delicious. A bit smoky sometimes, but quite sweet, although it may need a little dry time to light. A personal favorite.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Marlin Flake is fantastic.
One flake that doesn't get a lot of attention is McClelland's Navy Cavendish. It is NOT a black cavendish blend, but a true Virginia flake. It has a little rum added, which I don't detect in the flavor but just adds a little bit of extra sweetness. It's very mild, but still has a rich flavor.

Oct 7, 2016
@krizzose, I can detect the rum in McClelland Navy Cavendish, but it is very mild and definitely in the background. To me, there is less of a "non-tobacco" taste than many so called straight Virginia's from other makers The bulk #2035 is called a dark Navy flake, but has no rum. I like them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.