PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I found a dark, smokey mild English B&M blend I wanna spice up with some VA leaf for more punch. The blend reminds me a lot of

Boswell’s Northwoods. I don’t home blend very often, other than here and there by the bowlful.
Wondering which bulk VA brand I should use? My first thought is Sutliff VA slices as I’ve used those for blending with burley before, but not sure if there are others I should check out. Thanks.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Try Hearth & Home Marble Kake. It comes in bulk, and is a great straight Virginia on its own, but makes a great blender too. I wouldn’t call it particularly strong, but just add some burley

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Groovy - thanks for the suggestions. I'll grab some samples and try them out. I discovered I do like a faint Lakeland essence in my tobacco, so perhaps the G&H will win me over. We shall see.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good question. McClellands was the go-to Virginia leaf source. Now we have to reconsider the whole pipe tobacco market. Lane, Sutliff, and D&R seem like dependable sources; I don't think a couple of ounces of any of theirs would go to waste. While not particularly esteemed, some of the bagged Virginias might work well, if they were't cut too much like RYO tobacco, as some of them are meant for double duty (we suspect).

Status
Not open for further replies.