Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjsgarden

Lurker
Feb 22, 2019
West Monroe, LA, USA
Hello everyone.

I have a can of Miniwax Paste Finishing Wax and wanted to know if it would be OK to use for briar pipes.

Are there other recommendations that can be found at Home Depot or Walmart?

THANKS

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
For hand application and polishing, you want either,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Halcyon-II-Wax-for-the-Pipe/323700737177?hash=item4b5e114499:g:PbcAAOxySE9Q85iB
or,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paragon-Wax-for-the-Pipe/323700932890?hash=item4b5e14411a:g:hnkAAOSwc95a1DzX
You need very little per application.
Edit: After some quick reading, I would say NO to the minwax.
:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'garden, I avoid adding much or any wax or polish to my pipes. It causes residue and attracts dust that requires more polishing and attention. I don't want to keep shining up the pipe so it looks new. Rather, an energetic and detailed buffing after every smoke with a slightly abrasive and then a soft cloth will keep a pipe clean and fresh looking and allow a good patina to develop over the years. Some love to use product to make every pipe glow like new forever, but consider this more restrained approach; it keeps pipes nicely over decades, I can attest.

tjsgarden

Lurker
Feb 22, 2019
West Monroe, LA, USA
Very nice to hear from everyone.

I will go to one of the big box stores and look for some beeswax.

I looked at the Halcyon II Wax on ebay and will order soon.

mso489, I noticed you have responded to me twice today-thanks!

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Looks like MinWax paste finishing wax contains petroleum distillates. Probably be quite toxic when heated?
Rule of thumb is to use only food grade alcohols, oils, waxes, etc.
I've heard of using mineral oil (same used on wood cutting boards), and also olive oil.
Also I understand Paragon is for smooth finishes and Halcyon is for blasted/rusticated. Someone please correct me if I got that backwards.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Also I understand Paragon is for smooth finishes and Halcyon is for blasted/rusticated. Someone please correct me if I got that backwards.
Paragon is recommended for smooth finishes, but Halcyon can be used on both smooth and blasted/rusticated finishes. Paragon is slightly harder and produces a slightly more brilliant shine, but it's murder to keep from building up in the depressions of blasted/rusticated surfaces.
BTW, I never follow the instructions as they don't give me the level of gloss that I want. I put a little bit, and I mean a LITTLE bit, on the tips of my fingers and spread it out, let it set for s moment or two, then rub the pipe in my hands until it develops a high gloss shine. That works much better than using a cloth, at least, for me.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
...but it's murder to keep from building up in the depressions of blasted/rusticated surfaces.
This is my experience also. I don't use it on blasted/rusticated pipes. :|

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I once used Paragon on a blasted pipe, took forever to get that white stuff off. I use a Dunhill polishing cloth if I shine up a pipe. I cannot remember the last time I used it because I don't care if my pipes are shiny. I do pay attention to my pipes with smooth rims and use spit on those.

tjsgarden

Lurker
Feb 22, 2019
West Monroe, LA, USA
Thanks again for all the good information.
I just ordered Halcyon II from Ebay. The manufacturer statement indicated it was good for rusticated or sandblasted finishes. Paragon was recommended for smooth finishes.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I restored an old Canadian pipe which I removed the blotchy finish in the restoration process. After sanding it down , I applied Howard Butcher Block Conditioner which is a combination of food grade mineral oil and beeswax. It worked good and gave the pipe a smooth satin finish. I figured the Butcher Block Conditioner would be safe to use because its what a couple of professional chefs I know use on food preparation surfaces.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Butcher Block Conditioner is a combination of pure USP grade mineral oil, beeswax, and carnauba wax. It is ideal for conditioning and maintaining all wooden butcher blocks, cutting boards, wooden bowls, and utensils. The penetrating quality of food-grade mineral oil along with the water-resistant traits of beeswax and carnauba wax helps to rejuvenate the wood and prevent drying.
Sounds good. I use straight mineral oil on rim, bowl and stem.

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
I have used this for 20 yrs or so. If it's good enough for the world's top museums, I figure it is good enough for my collection. By the way, I am still on the first jar. A little goes a long way. It does great on blasted or rusticated pipes and you buff it off with a toothbrush or similar type brush (I also have a fingernail brush that works well).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Renaissance-Wax-Micro-Crystalline-Wax-Polish-65ml-2-25oz-Can/322052881039?hash=item4afbd8fa8f:g:D1cAAOSwh-1W3cl7:sc:USPSFirstClass!30096!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
A blow dryer will melt the white wax on rusticated and blasted pipes. The last step is to use a cotton Terry cloth to finish polishing and pick up any excess.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
^

I’ll toss out a thumbs up for Renaissance Wax. I apply it with a small nylon bristle brush from my Dremel kit and hit all the nooks & crannies on my TanBlasts.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Renaissance wax does a perfect job on both smooth and sandblasted- rusticated pipes.

It is way more heat resistant than a natural wax. Paragon is based on it.
Recorder oil , applied before waxing ,to liven up the grain works perfect . It is twice refined linseed oil and contains a little vitamine C. The result looks stunning and a tiny bottle goes a long, long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.