PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Okay. I won't be staining until tomorrow. Looking for people with hands on experience. Yes, I know what grits I use and how to stain a pipe, but am wondering about Feeb's green. I noted many use it as a contrast only, but I intend two coats of black (contrast and rustication) then, depending on responses, two green or dark red. The question foremost in my mind is as to whether it is transparent, translucent or opaque. Yeppers I can buff it down to adjust some, but will it then become washed out/blend with the briar color...or...? I really do not want to end up with an olive drab pipe, lol. Failing that I will forgo a Patty's Day pipe and probably go with black and tan as tired of dark red.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
saint....
For what ever it's worth, here's my thoughts: .....Test your staining, and finishing procedure on a scrap piece of briar, and see how the combination of dyes work for you. You'll at least get a good idea of what you need to do regarding the coloring, and getting the desired end results. What you "see" in your mind, and reality, are often at odds...I learned too many times.
A dull, Olive drab might just might be the results....but a silk purse might be the result, too.....
Good luck,

Frank

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Every green pipe that's actually green has a green-tinted shell on it. If you polish green you get green over brown, period. Tinted shellac over green stain is the only way I know to make a pipe stay really green, it's a very very difficult finish to do.

Aug 29, 2017
Maryland
I'm way out of my field, I'm a novice to the hobby, so I was curious about using food dye on non- varnish cobs. Thanks St.peter for mentioning about dyes, maybe you can give me some advice.☺

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
LOL sorry, but I have no experience with food dye, except in my beer on St. Paddy's day. I use fiebings leather dye, alcohol based.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I don't know this for a fact, but "food-grade colorings" may be fugitive....i.e, not color-fast....the colors may fade over time, morphing into some crappy color.
Wood dyes/clothing/leather -(alcohol-base)- dyes like RIT, Fiebings, etc, are usually more color fast, if not, far more permanent.
Frank

Aug 29, 2017
Maryland
Thank you for your help. I want to do some modifications on a freehand cob. Just talked to Scott from aristocob and also mentioned fabric dye.btw like the forums learning a lot in a short period of time.☺

Status
Not open for further replies.