PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I have a mason jar that used to have coconut oil, can I still use it to store my tobacco , or is there a special way to clean it.
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please use your Shift key in body text as well.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
Thanks!
- Kevin

--------------------------

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I don't know if the coconut would ghost the blend. Probably not. If it did, it might not be all that bad.
But, if you don't want to chance it, put the jar in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and pull it out after a couple of minutes.

Store? As in are you wanting to age the blend or just hold the tobacco while you smoke out of the jar?

If you are just using it to hold the tobacco, sure, do it. If you are wanting to age the tobacco, surely you could find one or two mason jars somewhere. However, if you are on a deserted island with no other options, sure. The waterbath as Brass said is a good idea if that one jar is all you have access to.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
If at all possible, get a new lid for the jar. The rubber seal on the lid is really the only part that may absorb flavors/odors/whathaveyou. They're meant to be one use and you can usually find replacements in bulk pretty cheap. That being said, a dozen brand new mason jars costs between $9-18 depending on size and source. You might as well go pick up some fresh ones to use.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
They're meant to be one use and you can usually find replacements in bulk pretty cheap.
Less than $4.00! The rubber is the part that holds the memory. Especially having had oil in the old one.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
thank you all for replying, the information was very useful, I was curious because I have 2 little bambinos, and I go through a lot of jars, especially Gerber's baby food jar, I once heard this guy said that he used to store tobacco using the baby jars, and was wondering if that's true, it would seem like it would leave a tinged of that baby food smell to the tobacco.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
The glass is easy enough to clean, but as previously stated the lids are a different matter.

As for being able to use the Mason jar lids only once only holds true if your are using them for heat vacuum sealing as in jarring, or if they get dirty and hold an odor from a different type of tobacco blend or other substance. I use the same ones repeatedly and only replace them if they somehow get damaged and they only cost a few dollars for a box of twelve.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Mason jar lids only once only holds true if your are using them for heat vacuum sealing as in jarring,. I use the same ones repeatedly and only replace them if they somehow get damaged and they only cost a few dollars for a box of twelve.
Right! I should have been more specific. :wink:

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Also, isn't a run through in a dishwasher as good as anything?

For the jars it is fine.
For the lids? see Phil's remarks! No! the rubber holds strong odors. It is not worth the risk of screwing up good tobacco for a nickel lid. :)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
No! the rubber holds strong odors.
This is my experience. Even after repeated washings, I can tell what tobacco blend was in the jar by the scent of the lid. This is less for some blends than others, and if the blend you last stored in a jar is a constituent part of what you're planning to store in it, you can probably get away with it.
But if it's a Lakeland, the only way to be sure is to take the jar to an open field and sterilize it with napalm.

Status
Not open for further replies.