PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have a Zippo pipe lighter and struggle to pull the flame into the bowl.I need to rest the lighter nearly on top of the rim of the pipe and then seem to have to really draw hard to pull the flame down.What am I doing wrong?

I have been using an IM Corona old boy lighter but have managed to break it,I need to find where in Europe I can send it for repair if any one of our European members knows
thanks

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
They have specific "pipe" inserts you can buy to replace the normal zippo insert. These have a hole in the top that easily allows the flame to be pulled downward. Most online dealers of pipes and pipe tobacco sell them as well as amazon. You can also purchase pipe specific butane (gas) inserts to replace the original if you don't want to mess with fluid.

You do NOT want to pull the flame into the bowl. This will lead to burning your rim or charring the insides. You just hold the flame (whether in a regular Zippo or a pipe Zippo) sideways about half an inch above the pipe and draw the heat down into chamber, not the flame. After the first few puffs, you will get the cigar effect of fire shooting up out of the chamber. Try to avoid this, as it will cook your tobacco, but it's pretty cool the first time you see it.
Pipe lighters that shoot the flame down into the bowl are the worst, IMO. It is just asking for a burnout or charred rim. I even use the half and inch method on my tall four inch tall stack pipes to light the bottom. It works just fine. The heat will travel very fast down to the tobacco, and will light it perfectly for you. If you try to shoot the flame down into the bowl, you will both NOT get a good light, and you will risk burning you pipe.

Reactions: Dr_Harshit_Joshi

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I always had issues with a regular Zippo. The moment I put in a pipe insert, the "half inch" method worked perfectly.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Interesting...I have not experienced this, but I've only had my pipe insert for about a year now.
What I have noticed is the fit on mine is not as good as the original insert so the fuel evaporates more quickly. I can't be bothered with petroleum jelly or similar fixes. Just too messy.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What cosmic writes.
I much prefer butane, but there are some who will not move off Zippo for love or money. It's a great lighter, great history, etc., but butane refillables are the bee's knees.
Mileage varies.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I've used the pipe insert in my Zippo for a few years now, ever since I found out they were a thing. And I like or I'm forced to use a Zippo cause I do most of my smoking outside, you know, where the air moves a lot. I haven't had any difficulties with it other than the usual routine maintenance you would have with any other lighter.
So I was at the Houston Rodeo a couple weeks ago where I stopped to look at the work of a silversmith. He had lots of jewelry that the ladies were gushing over. He also had a couple Zippos for sale, all nice and silver encrusted, for only $600. Dang! I'll have to be happy with my Jack Daniels Zippo.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
I only use matches as I only smoke indoors ( house or garage ). But I have a new butane lighter on the ready. Zippo's are a great lighter but I don't think I would like lighter fluid smell and possibly taste in my bowl...although I see many use it and have no complaints..

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I use a Zippo with a pipe insert. I smoke in the garage, outside and in my car. I'm clumsy, so especially when I do relights in the car, the flame is all over the place. No real charring on any of my pipes yet. I think the Zippo flame is easyer on the briar than a butane flame. Sometimes I taste the petrol, but only for a puff or two, so it's not a problem.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The instruction papers that came with older Zippos mentioned pulling the wick just above the rim of the windproof chimney for pipe use. Works perfectly. I do pull the flame into the bowl and have never scorched a rim.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I use the butane pipe insert for the zippo and it is now my favourite lighter

I just picked up the idea, originally from watching the older pipe smokers at the Briary. Apparently that is also how most aficionados light their cigars. I think the idea stems from preventing scorching or overheating of the tobacco as well. But, that just seems silly to me, when the notion is to actually set it on fire, ha ha. But, so far it gives me a fast, even lighting. I don't even bother with the whole, charring-light, tamp, and real lighting stuff any more. I just light it up and go. YMMV

Jan 8, 2013
Here's a pretty decent video showing the differences in the Zippo VS Pipe Zippo... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-fU34PPREM I've been using mine for about 5 years now, with zero problems.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
thanks for the replies guys

I have got a pipe insert but had the wick very short (maybe 1/8") I have pulled it out more as suggested above.

Result problem solved
thank you Chasing

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Aye. That's one thing our Cap'n's good fer, is settin' things ablaze!
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.