PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I've never smoked an individual pipe hot enough or enough times to cause it any real damage. So I've got no practical experience to draw upon here.
Aside from the very obvious things like huge burn outs in the bowl or cracks in the stem, what are other signs that a pipe was either poorly cared for or is otherwise going down hill?
I'm mainly talking briar here, but I'm all ears with whatever you've got.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Well that's a minefield. Many things can't be seen in a picture, but to share my own horror stories of eBaying:

I've had stems that were "shined up" with shoe polish. Yes, the thick, nasty, black shoe polish.

I've had bowls that were "cleaned and deodorized" with perfume. God-awful old lady perfume. Think Avon, circa 1970.

I've had pipes that were painted with enamel to cover up the discoloration from tar.

I've gotten stems that were superglued into the shanks.

And last but not least, I've had a few switcheroos--wrong stems on inferior bowls.
So basically, it's caveat emptor when buying from an auction site. I've learned to establish a dialogue with the seller for any pipe over a few bucks that I may have questions about, and ask as many questions as possible, even requesting more pictures via email if they'll oblige. There are a few very reputable consignors that I have no second thoughts about ordering from--Marty Pulvers, CoopersArk and PipeStud top that list. Other than that, go with your gut and your wallet (and it never hurts to pray).

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
It really is a hard question to answer. If buying online, you want as many pics as you can. I prefer pics of the bowl and mortise if I can get them. Even estates that I have to do some restoration is ok as long as the inside of the bowl doesn't have gouged lines from top to bottom, or look like someone took to it with a pickaxe.
Some of the most caked up pipes can either be great smokers with just a heavy cake build up, or to the point that the cake is what's holding the pipe together. Some of those pipes, you can tell that they were smoked with loving care, and others, just by looking at them can tell it'll be a work in progress if it can be brought back to life. Really, it just depends on your preferences and what you're willing to try to restore/fix/enjoy. I will say, though, that it's easy to spot a lightly smoked pipe. It might be black in the bowl, or ashy looking, but it's usually smoother.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Zanthal, you didnt mention whether you were talking online purchase or what, but the advice already given is great to go by. Pipenovelist just posted a guide tonight to help if you want an online pipe. I like to search antique stores and second hand shops, and besides the obvious, I would recommend brining pipecleaners with you. If the pipecleaner passes through the pipe without a lot of effort, the airway is good. If not, take the stem off and look for filters or stingers that may be blocking the pipecleaner, remove them, and try again. If the cleaner goes through, everything fits together well, and the pipe doesnt look abused, it's probably a good pipe.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I was referring to online sales but the points are all valid whether you're in person or not.
I didn't even consider going to an antique shop ... I know of one in my town I've never been to, and maybe that just might be an interesting trip. Thanks for the idea rigmedic1, and for all the tips everyone.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I like to comb the local antique malls for deals, when assessing a used pipe I look at the rim, is it charred or just caked with smoke, I also pull it apart, so I can tell how it was maintained and what the stem fit is like. Some caking is to be expected but I avoid those pipes with massive cake that takes up half the bowl, too risky that I'll find a bad surprise. In the end go with your gut, if it feels and looks like something you would put in your mouth, after a thourough cleansing buy it.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
No. 1 in my book of pipe buying rules. If your not used to making purchases of used pipes. Buy from a reputable seller.
Check feedbacks if purchasing from Ebay and look thru all you can. I never purchase from anyone with less than about 97% feedback unless their bad feedback is very old with all their new having no negatives. Go with my gut on this one.
Make purchases online from other sources from people that others have dealt with and had no problems and as already said, ask lots of questions and ask to see any part that you can't. Try to ask all your questions in one email, as if you send several questions over a short time, they may get aggravated and get a bit testy.
If you want to get some really good deals on estates, learn to clean up and refurb pipes yourself and be ready to take a few chances with your purchases if the price is reasonable enough. Learning to refurb will not only save you some $$$ on future pipe purchases but will help you to keep your own pipes looking great.
One last thing, never expect to get a really great pipe for a very cheap price. Although it does happen, and most likely will for you one day, don't get your hopes up to the point you get ripped off trying to buy that great deal.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
One further consideration is to decide what you want to pay for a pipe based on the description and pictures, along with what has been said above. Auction sites are easy to get carried away on! I use either of two methods when buying from Ebay; Sometimes I bib the maximum price (including the shipping costs) on an auction with several days to run and then forget about it. If I get an email saying I've been outbid, I treat that as final and don't go back. A more dangerous strategy (temptation wise) is to bid your maximum amount a minute or so before the auction ends. Unless it is a rare collectors piece, there will be more pipes on there tomorrow.
One more note about buying pipes that you can handle. A badly fitting stem can cause annoying gurgle as the smoke gets turbulent if there is a gap between the mortise and tenon. Another use for a pipe cleaner after checking the air way is to get a rough message of the depth of the mortise. You can then compare it against the length of tenon to see if they fit together well.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
God-awful old lady perfume. Think Avon circa 1970.
Had one like this a few weeks ago. With very little restorative effort it turned out to be an excellent pipe. When I first got it though, it smelled like an 80 year old woman had been rubbing it all over herself. Ugh.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Usually at the Chicago show there's a seminar by an on-line pipe retailer, and they give a good list of "dos" and "don't".
The best advice I got was to know two things: how much something is worth, and know how much you're willing to spend. Knowing how much you're willing to spend is easy (or it should be). Knowing how much something is worth is a little more difficult, as it requires knowledge, experience and research. And frankly, the retailer told us, if you don't know how much something is worth, you shouldn't buy it in the first place.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I begin by looking for a reputable pipe maker (ie.Savinelli, Peterson, etc.). If you're relatively new to the hobby, consider bringing your iPhone along and check out the maker on Pipedia.com for a look at the history behind the pipe. Then I look at the weight and size of the pipe. Then comes my purely subjective attraction which is a combination of art and physical condition. If all these check out and the price is right, it's likely going to be in my pipe rack by dinner time.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Buying cheaper estate pipes can be fun as hell. In the under $20 range. You get some bad apples, but for just the pleasure of getting some pipes, finding some neat treasures, and putting the rest back on the market., much like penny stocks.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
Lots of good advice here but none better than doing business with a reputable seller and I know of no better one than Pipestud. I have dealt with him for years and he is more than fair, fast, and communicates on a regular basis. Give him a try, I think you'll like him.
Smokey

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I found this post from Lawrence on another older but similar thread, and it is also good advice:
I'm going to veer a little off of what everyone seems to talking about.

In your early collection, you might just go with what catches your eye.

However; here are the "tips" that I would recommend to the inexperienced pipe buyer.
1) Look carefully and closely to the exterior of the bowl. Are there any pits, putty fills or blemishes in the finish or irregularities in the wood that may suggest a problem.

2) Check the interior of the bowl to be sure there are no Hanging Chads (little pieces of wood that are still attached to the bowl) on the draft hole and that it is centered. If the drilling isn't clean or is off center, this can cause difficulty cleaning and could cause unnecessary dottle.

3) Steer away from pipes with really thin bowl walls. These may smoke hot, owing to a not fully developed smoking style.

4) Insure that the stem fits snugly and flush with no visible separation. Oils from your smoke can seep and can end up on your fingers after a short while. If the stem doesn't fit snugly it may come loose in time.

5) Run a pipe cleaner from the bit to the bowl. If this isn't possible then the draft holes do not line up properly. While this isn't a deal breaker it could provide an internal area that moisture can build up and cause gurgle that could develop into what my Dad used to call kick back. (The inadvertent sucking of that liquid out of the pipe. Yuck!)

6) Most important of all the criteria... buy the pipe you want and not necessarily the one the guy behind the counter is pushing. If it isn't the pipe you wanted, you will never be happy with it.
There's a 40 vendor antique mall in my town that I've never been to. I called them up and they said several of their vendors have tobacco pipes, so I'm going to give it a gander this weekend, and I'll report any acquisitions.
Again thanks for the tips

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
One thing if you're buying online from reputable seller, is make sure they have a return policy. Sometimes the pictures don't show all the imperfections or it a poor phone pic. The ones I deal with online always a anywhere from a week to 2 for returning an item.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/the-thrill-of-the-hunt-a-guide-to-estate-meerschaums/

Status
Not open for further replies.