PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
I've been looking at quite a few independent USA pipemakers.
What I'm after is pretty much the traditional straight billiard, with a taper stem, and a good blasting technique.
Here are a few who I think make really good straight billiards with the above spec, of course many of them are out of my price range.
Listed in no particular order:
Ruthenberg

ze7T6NQm.jpg

Pohlmann

qcpOwCam.jpg

Rad Davis

dbaD3whm.jpg

Wayne Teipen

v3HhC6Lm.jpg

Nate King

Kna5GU4m.jpg

Eric Gainey

HCkzKSum.jpg

JT Cooke

4x8Sp3Xm.jpg

Ryan Alden

i36Ui42m.jpg

Walt Cannoy

ik7yTdcm.jpg

Trever Talbert

kfYx6ZWm.jpg

Bonacquisti

8lK1q6Tm.jpg

Linder

wxA4oqDm.jpg

Chheda

JtHT9Vim.jpg

Jerry Crawford

mhEZLT8m.jpg

Roush

Ecl6ESYm.jpg

Old Nellie

zLKz0bfm.jpg
Who am I missing?
Who should I be keeping an eye on?
Thanks for any suggestions!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
If you'd consider expanding the search to North American carvers, instead of limiting the search to the USA I would put. Michael Parks at the top of the list for classic shapes and outstanding blasts.
For unique and characteristic blasts on classic shapes in the USA I'd also add J.T. Cooke.
-- Pat

May 31, 2012
No doubt about Michael Parks, no doubt whatsoever.

But, I think his stuff is beyond my reach as far as $$$.
I was going to post a longer version of this and in the preamble talk about Parks and how I consider him to be the best blaster working today, hands down. I love how he can capture a variety of different looks with his blasts, my favorite of his though are the ones that uncannily resemble 20's era Dunhill Shells, the super craggy and random unexpectedness, the rippling rumbles --- no one else can approach that the way he can, no one else can get such spectacular and consistent results that I've seen from Parks work. I love not only his blasting, but his shaping style is spot on the mark too.
About Bruce Weaver,

yes, I love his blasts, but I don't love his billiards. They all seem to be pinched at the top like a brandy, and if you're (like me) appreciating the shape from the classic British angle, his shaping can seem a bit awkward. I think it's more of a Danish style. Not that I'm trying to diss him, it's just my personal preference. His more organic shapes, like the acorn for example, are off the chain, and he has a variety of different shapes he executes very well, his volcanoes are crazy cool, as are many others, I just don't like long shanked lovats and I only care for saddle stemm'd billiards if it's on a Barling...
...here's one his billiards which is closer to the classic British ideal:

480_7453billiard1.jpg

...and I really dig that pipe,

but most his billiards have his signature pinched top,

398_7433billiard2.jpg

What can I say?
I'm becoming a billiard nerd.

:oops:

:eek:

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Billiards Rule!
I would keep an eye on Jerry Crawford, his prices are incredibly reasonable for the quality you get. I'm up to five of his pipes but no billiard yet.
Ryan Aldan is another fella who is doing excellent work but still getting his rep established. His pipes are very reasonably priced for the quality. If he has not sold that billiard on his website (I think your picture above) I plan on snagging it come payday. I have a poker made by him that is an outstanding smoker.
I just picked up a strawberry wood billiard from Micah Redmond. He is pretty new to the scene and Premal at Smokers' Haven sells his pipes. Once I get my camera going I will post a picture. I've also got a pot shape from him and both smoke really good.
+1 Rogue. I would much rather have a nice sandblast than a straight grained smooth pipe. I just love the feel and texture of a nice blast.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Tinsky, as he shapes some incredible pipes and he has lindner do a lot if not all of his sandblasting.I have a commissioned poker being blasted by him(lindner) right now, its a tinsky pipe though. Will post when I get it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those are works of art, high end. I think sandblast gives a tactile dimension to a pipe that is

more connected to the briar and the gain than rustication, that I really appreciate.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
If I could justify the cash, I'd get a Rad Davis sandblasted pipe so fast they'd call me Flash Gordon.
However. Working for a church with baby #2 on the way......I'll have to wait for Heaven :)

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I also overlooked Trevor Talbert. I enjoy his blast and stain and his horn stems are wonderful.
-- Pat

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Also check out Andy Petersen, Thomas James, Jeff Gracik, Abe Herbaugh, and Charles Cole.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Our very own zack24 does some really nice blasts. zhamricpipes.com Is in Florida and prices are pretty good IMO.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
I just commissioned one from Jay at Briar Bird Pipes. I'll post it when I get it, but everything I've seen from him is amazing. The ones I own from him are probably the best smoking pipes I've ever owned. Can't wait!

May 31, 2012
What do I win ?
With a billiard like that, you might just win a spot as a finalist at the billiard competition this year in Kansas City!

:puffy:
I only recently found out that the billiard was this years challenge,

dammit,

that'd be great for my first pipe show,

to see all those billiards!!!!
I probably have to wait for the P&T issue to come out to see them,

but some sort of magic may happen where I'd get to go,

I'm going to try!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I think you can buy raffle tickets without being at the show, but double check that I could be wrong.

You might just win 7 world class billiards! But if you can find a way to make it, do that instead. You won't believe how much fun you will have at a show.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
MLC, congratulations on that purchase! That's a gorgeous looking pipe! Now you'll need to share how it performs for you.
I'm very fond of Lee Von Erck's pipes, but he doesn't make standard shapes. However, his blasts are outstanding and his pipes are sublime.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
I'd add Steve Liskey to the mix, I had the chance to pick up this lovat a while back:

liskey-clay-and-ming-kahuna-600x448.jpg

May 31, 2012
mrenglish - I was just rereading this and I noticed that my remark came off as kind of snide, I didn't mean it that way, and I apologize.

I realize how painful it can be if you have your heart set on a certain pipe but don't have the immediate money, I once missed out on a pipe I really wanted because of that and it hurt, it was painful, I was 2 days away from having the money --- I just got the Alden pipe a day before I posted this thread, I happened to visit his site, saw that pipe available, and fell instantly in love with it, and believe me, I had to deliberate on it mighty fierce because that is the most money I've spent on a pipe so far, but decided I didn't want to miss out on such a fine example, and really it was a bargain comparatively speaking in the overall scheme of things --- just days earlier I had shown incredible restraint when Judd listed a late 20's Dunhill Shell LB from the Loring collection for a b-i-n of $298, I came so close to hitting the button, but I'm glad i didn't, I would've blown my budget and been SOL when I saw Ryan's exquisite billiard --- sorry if my comment sounded like I was rubbing it in your face, that was not my intention.
Lonestar - I would have so much fun that I'd be carried out by paramedics! :)
Sable - yeah, Lee Von Erck is a massive talent, and he oil cures too I think...
Sergemoat - no doubt, Liskey makes some fine pipes, and I love that lovat, the photo is nice and highlights the shank/bowl angle as almost the focal point, that's a perfect 90 it looks like, gives it an almost italian vibe yet somehow radiates as American Made.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Some great examples in that bunch....can't believe they chose the billiard for KC this year... I had planned on throwing my hat in the ring on that competition....this should be interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.