PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
As we celebrate our country's birthday I can't help but think how lucky I am to live here in this great country.In another week I will celebrate my own birthday.I will be 70 years old.I was born in the foothills of North Carolina in farm country.A lot of tobacco was grown back then.Not so much these days.This area is growing like weeds in the rainy season.Most of that tobacco land has been developed..That's not the only thing that's changed in my life time.Technology has gone crazy.In the old days men carried knives on their belts.These days it's hand held computers.Honestly I'm having a very hard time with it.Every time I think I've learned something it's obsolete the next day.I see a way of life that I grew up in and loved disappearing and there's nothing I can do about it.People are in a mad rush going no place.I love this country as divided as it is..There's a line in a Willie Nelson song that says There's room for every one in the promise land.With all these smoking bans and taxes as an old pipe smoker I'm beginning to wonder if that's really true.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
In the old days men carried knives on their belts.These days it's hand held computers
Well I'm carrying 2 knives and a computer! If there's smoking bans in heaven, we'll just all go wherever Mark Twain is hanging out.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I don't know if you buy tobacco online but the internet has opened up a whole new world of tobacco choices. You can get just about anything. The smoking bans do worry me, though. I'm only 23 and might not be able to enjoy the pipe as long as you have. I hope to smoke sometime with you. You seem wise beyond your years. Like I said in another post, you are using a forum and are 70. You seem pretty up to date to me. Glad you're here with us Puffy!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Things are changing very fast, it's true. Some people rush to embrace change, some fight it; but the wise man accepts that change is inevitable, and deals with it judiciously. Neibuhr was right.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.
Preserve and cherish what you can of the past; enjoy the changes that you can -like the internet! - and realize that you are blessed.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I am 70 yrs old I rarely go off my farm, people are rude, want to run you over in traffic, I spend my free time here with civil folks, we may disagree but we don"t pull out the guns the old cajun

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
@puffy I always have and always will carry a knife on my belt. As far as a computer I can take it or leave it.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
A Cajun is never without his knife, I carried one on my Tuxedo when my daughter got married the way my wife carried on about that was terrible, mt oldest son who was in the 82nd airborne told my wife what's wrong with that and proceeds to pull Out this. Big benchmade knife out of his pocket, I will love him forever for that moment the old cajun

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
puffy, I'm 4 1/2 years younger than you, but agree with how you feel. While I hope that somehow the busybody nannies and anti-everything fools lose their battles for our freedoms, I'm thankful I've lived most of my life, so I won't have to see things get much worse.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
People are in a mad rush going no place.

It's possible not to get caught up in that, but you have to make an effort to slow down and enjoy what is good in life. A fistful of briar helps.
In another week I will celebrate my own birthday.I will be 70 years old.

Congratulations now, just in case I'm not where I can get internet next week.
In the old days men carried knives on their belts.

I usually carry a rigging knife and a marlinespike.

Status
Not open for further replies.