PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A knowledgeable long-time pipe smoking friend complained to me that U.S. machine-made pipes get

funky over the long run. He especially cited Yellow Bole, but seemed to feel that way about the category

in general. He has some major meerschaums, briars, churchwardens, etc., going back decades, just to

put it in context. One complaint I've not heard about U.S. machine mades is that they get cruddy with

reasonable care, more than any other pipe. Dr. Grabows and Kaywoodies seem to linger on the market

as long lived pipes for decades, scores of years. My friend is reporting his experience accurately, I know.

But I wondered what others have experienced. Do U.S. machine made pipes last for you?

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
So far so good, the only machine made pipe I've ever had an issue with was made of brylon. That one seemed to get funky pretty quick, but it's basically bake lite so you can pretty much boil it or dump it in a bowl of vodka to get rid of that pretty quick.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I have about 15 US machine made pipes, DG , Medico and Kaywoodie. Some of these are from the 50's and are great sweet smokers. I have never had any problem any these pipes getting cruddy or sour. I smoke the heck out of them and just give them regular cleanings nothing special. Some of them I have personally smoked for over 20 years and they seem to just get better with age.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I have a Kaywoodie from the late 30's that is a super smoker! I have a Dr. Grabow that is at 50 years old. It is also a great smoker! Any pipe could get "funky" if not taken care of.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Thank you jwp, "sour" was the word I was looking for! For the life of my I couldn't think of it. :lol: My brylon pipe tends to get sour quickly. As I stated before; who really cares it's brylon! :wink: It just requires a cleaning more often.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Well, if the guy smokes em like a tool, and treats them like a tool, they're gonna take a beating.

How do you explain Kaywoodie and KB&B pipes or vintage Dunhill's that were made at turn of the century circa 1900 that I am still smoking and others are still buying and collecting??

I've even still have some old Grabows that I bought in the 1960's that smoke great.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Pipes are tools for smoking tobacco in. I generally see only two types of tool owners, the first type owns tools that are beat up, filthy and show rust spots etc and the second type shows a clean (unless being used at the time) tool, no rust, worn but taken care of and both will give you the same reply when you remark about the condition "well they're tools".

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I feel that I have overlooked the cardinal rule on this forum, "If you ask 100 pipe smokers; you'll get 101 opinions." So why not just give it a shot; heck, Uber had some estate factory mades on briar bid yesterday. It'd be reasonably cheap for you to make up your own mind on the matter. Plus it gives you an excuse to smoke more and that'd be the only opinion I'd need. :wink:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
How many Yelloboles does he have? Has he had several and all have gone sour? Or is he basing his observations on one pipe? Every now and then a "stinker" will pop up in just about any line of pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My friend pipe smoker has led a pretty rough and tumble life, so I suspect he ran into some humidity and storage

situations that might have done-in his U.S. machine made pipes. However, I'm taking your ideas to heart, and

in addition to the Dr. Grabow I already have, I ordered a Kaywoodie. The rest of my collection is/are Danish,

English, Italian, Irish, a French, and four U.S. handcrafted pipes, but I want the U.S. machine pipes to round out

the current collection. They are distinctive, not like any of the other pipes. Like MM cobs, they are in a class by

themselves. Thanks for the votes of confidence.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Just to really drive tw point home I know some members here have corn cob pipes that have lasted a few decades, any pipe will last with proper care and any pipe will turn if not taken care of. What Rothnh said about your friend basing his opinion on his observations is probably true, nothing wrong with that either, he just happens to be wrong this time :p

Status
Not open for further replies.