PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
A new $1 coin from the U.S. Mint depicts Mark Twain holding his calabash, with a plume of smoke forming a silhouette of Huck Finn and Jim on a raft.
From the publicity:
The 2016 Mark Twain Uncirculated Silver Dollar Coin; who doesn’t have fond memories of reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer or Adventures of Huckleberry Finn? These American classics written by Mark Twain captured a period of history and made it seem real and exciting for generations of students.
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, whose pen name was Mark Twain, has influenced American culture like few other authors; Twain published 28 books, as well as many short stories, letters and sketches. He is remembered for addressing complex social situations that were facing Americans during his time. His books have been translated into more than 75 languages, and many are still in print today.
This commemorative coin program is in recognition of Mark Twain’s literary and educational contributions.
The obverse (heads) features a portrait of Mark Twain holding a pipe with smoke forming a silhouette of Huck Finn and Jim on a raft in the background with the inscriptions “IN GOD WE TRUST,” “LIBERTY” and”2016.” The reverse (tails) features an assortment of characters leaping to life from Mark Twain’s works: The knight and horse from A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, the frog from “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County” and Jim and Huck from Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. The inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “$1” and “E PLURIBUS UNUM.”
Surcharges of $10 for each silver coin sold are authorized to be paid to the Mark Twain House and Museum in Hartford, Connecticut; the University of California, Berkeley; Elmira College, New York; and the Mark Twain Boyhood Home and Museum in Hannibal, Missouri.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
16cl-a.jpg
16cl-b.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Interesting that the U.S. Mint has minted a coin with a pipe and a book that has been banned in some libraries. Maybe all hope is not lost after all.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Far out! That is almost unbelievable.... And how do you blow a cloud of smoke that shows people on a raft?? The best I can do is rings.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Y'all missed my earlier post on this. You can order it from www.usmint.gov .
I bought the proof version. It comes in a very nice velvet presentation box. Costs around $47.00 for that.

It's a beautiful coin.Highly recommended.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Very cool. Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to look at picking one up.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
It's kind of sad these days that the engraving actually surprises me, but I am very happy to see it.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"The children, the children! What effect will this coin have on the children?!?!" I can just hear the anti's wailing now!
"Why is there a pipe cleaner protruding from his stem?"
Do you mean to tell me that you've never tried to smoke a pipe with a pipe-cleaner in its stem? I have! :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.