PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rishimak

Lurker
Sep 20, 2012
what do u guys think of brigham pipes? should i get one?

all u see in canadian tobacco stores is "Brigham"

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I don't have one, but I am intrigued with the 'Rock Maple Filter'. There are a-plenty of your compatriots* here who probably grew up with them.
*(Except for nsfisher, who is a Brog afic... Brog affish... he likes Brogs.) :lol:

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
I have one that I very much like. It's a 3Dot and a damn finr smoker with or without the filters.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
I've got one, and it's my best smoker i have. I just absolutely love it. It was my first briar pipe. Love the filter system, it actually works, and works well!! I suggest getting one, great bang for buck!

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I am a huge fan of Brigham pipes, with (as of now) seventeen examples of their work currently in my rotation. The maple filter system is, in my opinion, far superior to any other filter system for the simple reason that you can still pass a pipe-cleaner through them (Savinelli's balsa come a distant second for me).

That said, there is one major drawback you need to be aware of with Brigham pipes. Although the company is Canadian, and the original designs are Canadian, it is not cost efficient to manufacture their pipes here any longer; and as such have turned to an Italian factory (the same factory that makes Capri and Lorenzetti). These pipes are easily identified by their delrin tenons (Canadian made feature an aluminum tenon), and although they are well made, they feature a sodium-silicate (waterglass) bowl-lining, which isn't so cool (it doesn't allow for moisture to absorb into the briar). This can be removed, but it is a serious pain in the behind. Coincidentally, neither the Capri nor Lorenzetti lines seem to feature the solid pink bowl-liner.
Huh - thats a 2 dot in my avatar, neat.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Schmitz, what does the dot system mean? Quality grade? Google doesn't know.
Wait, they do!
The dot system originally consisted of 8 separate grades as follows (from lowest to highest grade):

1 DOT - "Brigham Standard"

2 DOT - "Brigham Select"

3 DOT (star pattern) - "Brigham Exclusive"

3 DOT (vertically aligned) - "Brigham Executive"

4 DOT - "Brigham Director"

3 DOT (horizontally aligned) - "Brigham VIP"

5 DOT - "Brigham Special Grain"

6 DOT - "Brigham Straight Grain"
Nice!

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I have one estate Brigham that I got off ebay. Only smoked it once so far, but so far it smokes very nice.

Untitled_zpsedab41fb.jpg

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
schmitzbitz, thanks for that information about manufacturing. Wow, I am very disappointed to hear that they are now made in Italy. =( Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I have only 1 Brigham (with an aluminium tenon) and I think that any Brighams I acquire in future will be estates with aluminium tenons as well. =( Good to know, but disheartening.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Apparently another driving force that sent them to Italy was their rusticating workers were retiring, and there wasn't enough talented or interested work force here. Most of the workers were from Italy, so they figured "Why not?". Happened to save them a few bucks too.

SMc22.jpg

The bulldog on the left is my Brigham. It was a $10 flea market snag to cleaned up with a few hours of elbow grease and has smoked very well since. Internet research shows it's likely from the mid 70s.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
A 3-Dot Brigham for $10!!! 8O Man, where are the flea markets around where I live?! :crying:

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
8O Note to self: religiously check yard sales. I think I will start just asking people outright if they have any pipes in their yard sales. If I don't see any that doesn't mean they don't have any they're getting rid of.

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
I love brighams too, I've got a good collecting of about 2 dozens going, mostly 2 and 3 dots, but I do also have a few 4 dots. As a side collection, I try to get all the Brigham Sportsman as I can get, something about that rugged look and feel!
BTW: They all smoke very well!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good thread. I kept seeing Brighams but shied away due to the filter. I don't care for filers and I could never be sure how they smoked without one.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I can honestly say I have never heard of this brand. I don't know how as I have been on this forum for a while. Maybe I do know and just forgot. Who knows. They have some great pipes from the look of it.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
For years Brigham pipes where the only easily access pipes in Canada. They at one point back in the pipe hayday had a shop on the main street of Toronto. Until recently rough carving was done offshore in Europe and the finishing and rustication was performed by inhouse technical experts. One lady I met had worked there for 60 years. I bought/aquired an old wood lathe from there shop on Ripley Dr in Toronto in the late 90's when they were downscaling their operation. The thing must have weighed 400lbs. It was a shame to hear they had gone to Italy I honestly don't believe the current pipes are near as good of smokers at the ones from their earlier years. I have a couple Lorenzetti pipes and to be honest am luke warm. The pipes smoke fine without the maple filter but it is truly amazing how dry even a wet tobacco smokes with the maple filter. No gurgle at all. That in itself is worth getting the filters for. I have roughly 30 of them in my collection now and most hit my rotation at least a couple of times per year. A friend of mine use to do sales for Brigham, he now restores pipes and carves a few of his own. His name is Stefan Seles if you have any other questions regarding Brigham I can forward to him since he has much better first hand knowlege.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
wow piperl12 you have a wealth of information! Thanks! I would love to see some photos of yours if you get a chance.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I have two brigham's and they both smoke well. Interesting thing is I also have three lorenzetti's and the Lorenzetti's pound for pound are my best smokers / favourite briars.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I have 6 Brighams in my rotation, and two more on my bench waiting for a refurb. I haven't tried any of the Italian-made pipes, but if you find a Canadian made one you'll love it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
they feature a sodium-silicate (waterglass) bowl-lining, which isn't so cool (it doesn't allow for moisture to absorb into the briar).
@schmitzbitz this is great info btw. I haven't seen such a thing before.
I am also very surprised that they would make such a radical change and leave it up to an outside manufacturer to do. What would be their reasoning and do you happen to know if all of their briars are like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.