PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've found this pipe rack locally, and I am considering it, BUT, do the pipes sit in here upside down do you think? I've never seen a rack where the pipe rests on the bowl on top.
Anyone have something similar? Any benefits of having them hang that way?
_59-337x600.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If the space between the top and bottom plates is small enough, I would think you could slip the stems up through the holes and use it that way if you prefer. It does look like it may have been designed to have the pipes hang bowl-up, but I'm used to seeing that type with slots radiating out from the hole to the edge of the wood. I have one rack of each style, and have noticed no difference in how the pipes dry or anything like that.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Appears they could fit either way if you were so inclined. Would be nice to have the grooves on the bottom but you would not absolutely need them I suppose...

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
Almost all of the racks you find in mainland Europe, atleast here in Belgium are all made to hang the pipe inside with the stem down and bowl up.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Pretty much all my pipes hang by the bowl with the stem down. It makes no difference to the pipe to store them either way. Some racks are designed to store the pipes stem down and others are designed to store them with the stems up.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Regarding the position of pipes in a rack, the late Carl Weber had this to say in his book titled Weber's Guide to Pipes and Pipe Smoking:
"Should the head be up or down? Georges Herment, a knowledgeable and entertaining writer on the subject of pipes, states flatly, "One can, indeed, buy so-called 'pipe holders' in which the mouthpiece is held uppermost. We pass these by without comment, leaving such stupidity to expose itself." But the Weber Guide to Pipes and Pipe Smoking refutes Herment with this excellent argument: "The vertical position of the pipe allows the moisture in the stem and shank to run down into the bowl, where it will evaporate or be consumed in the next smoke.""

Status
Not open for further replies.