PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Anybody light their pipe upside down , pack the tobacco well enough to hold and then light up , bowl down , over the flame ..
I was at a guys shed party last weekend , so I lit up me pipe as we quaffed ales , seared steaks , lamb and pork chops . One of the guys said that was how his granddad did it . Seems to make sense.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
+1 Cosmic
I would imagine that would be one hot smoke for sure! When I started, if I dipped the flame into the bowl, I got just like Cosmic said, a charred rim and very obvious eyesore on my pipe. Plus, it would always start out as a very hot smoke and wouldn't be very enjoyable. I hold my flame above the bowl and let her hover, pulling the super heated air down into the bowl. I can only imagine that his grandfathers method must have been one he just got used to and the hot smoke didn't really bother him. Ooof, my tongue just shivered thinking about that.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Nonsense
You can hover a flame under a stoogie without touching it , lights up on the hot air perfectly.
Try upside down , just warm over hot air rising to catch it .. bobs your uncle

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
This comes up often lately. I always pack my pipe so that it could be held upside down or thrown in my pocket, as it may be. And I have frequently smoked my pipe upside down, in the rain, in the shower, etc. But, I do not light my pipes upside down. Period. Too much risk of rim char and smudging. Why constantly clean that up? And I guarantee you that his grandad didn't care what his pipe looked like, either. That being said, you light your pipe any way you see fit.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Aye , I don’t care about perfect pipe
Gimme an unfinished briar , beat up cob , 2x4 with a hole drilled in it ..

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
The top of my 6 dollar cob is charred .
Sometimes I wear odd socks ..

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I love virgin briar with just a coat of wax, possibly some of the best smoking pipes with no additives, but I'll skip the cob and I tend not to smoke pressure treated anymore. Heh. I like to keep the rim in good condition, though. I mean, the visual appeal of a nice pipe, even a $5 one, does something for me. That's why I don't have any plateau topped pipes.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
I get the really nice pipe thing , Got my eye on a savenelli ( oh yes , you will be mine ) for the next time I’m flush .
In a function follows form world , the elegance of a perfectly formed bowl doesnt change the smoke , no more than British racing green gets your lotus elite thru the turns any smoother , which is why I like piping .

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Discussed for piping in rain and snow...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/why-do-some-smoke-the-pipe-upsidedown

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
In the shower? Reminds me of when Kramer put a disposal in his shower and started doing food prep in there. Seriously though, in the shower?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I draw the flame down and have never scorched a pipe rim. Never lit one upside down though.

Status
Not open for further replies.